Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anybody know this webcam. It's found in Dell Studio XPS16, and the USB IDs are: VID 05CA PID 18A0 MI 00 I understand it's made by Ricoh, but it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What's this integrated webcam?

Does anybody know this webcam.
    It's found in Dell Studio XPS16, and the USB IDs are:
    VID 05CA
    PID 18A0
    MI 00

I understand it's made by Ricoh, but it's listed in Windows as
    "Creative integrated webcam".

It should be supported by Linux, but which driver?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If it's supported by Linux (probably recent distributions) then it should work out-of-the-box without installing additional drivers. If it doesn't, then you will have to find a driver for it. Most webcams that are not supported directly by Linux can be enabled using the driver and installation information here: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
    However, I did look for this device (Vendor ID and Product ID you mentioned) and did not find it there.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    My point exactly. The drivers seem to be for the R5U87x chips.
    I'd also be interested if someone knows some documentation of the chip "floating" around the net.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Does Dell have a Linux distribution that supports this system? If so, you should be able to get either the entire OS (special device driver for webcam included), or just the driver. If not, complain to their tech support people and maybe they can point you to a driver for it.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Ok I looked, Dell does have linux drivers but not for the webcam on their website. But i did put in the model type of your computer. And the Ricoh driver is for a card reader. I believe you're looking for a Creative Labs Driver. Look Here If that doesn't help you then I'm out of ideas lol

If that is the driver you need. I suggest not downloading from the dell site so on google and try to find the driver for download for linux with an install guide maybe.
    Last edited by dethklok02895; 03-22-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Forgot info