Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I am looking to run a dual-boot Linux/Win7 machine that already has Windows 7 installed on it. I was going to go with Kubuntu because of Ubuntu's popularity and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450

Hi! I am looking to run a dual-boot Linux/Win7 machine that already has Windows 7 installed on it. I was going to go with Kubuntu because of Ubuntu's popularity and Kubuntu's (supposed) ease of desktop use. I consider myself to have novice to moderate technical skills (build my own PC, ran Linux and Google Chrome OS successfully from flash-drive, can do minor HTML programming, Savvy computing in Windows desktop environment).

My most recent budget build for a PC has:

ASRock Motherboard with onboard sound (no onboard video)

AMD Athlon II X3 at 2.9 GHz socket AM3 processor

8 GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaw RAM running Dual Channel

500 GB Seagate Barracude SATA 3 GB per second 7200 RPM HDD

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5450 Graphics Card with 512 MB Graphics Memory

I attempted to install Kubuntu onto this build and just got a blue screen after choosing "Install Kubuntu" from the live DVD which leads me to believe that Kubuntu 10.04 LTS Release doesn't support my graphics card. My monitor was hooked up using HDMI with a (when enabled) second desktop via SVGA. The HDMI said that it received no signal, the SVGA just showed the blue screen. It wasn't like a "blue screen of death" type of blue screen, rather, it was like the desktop background loaded with no splash screen, icons, or other GUI features.

My question (after taking the linux distro quiz which recommended Linux Mint) is which distro will support my hardware from the fresh install?

I posted on the Kubuntu forums, but I would prefer a LTS or stable edition of Linux over a beta edition. My reasoning is simple, I just need this as a backup OS so that in the event of a crash, computer virus, or other PC problem, before I re-install or fix or format or whatever I decide to do, I can go in and save files. I -do- keep backups, but I'd rather be prepared. I'd rather not have to go seeking bug fixes and other additional technical support for a backup OS that just lives in the background.

Your video card is part of the "Evergreen Series" from ATI. Support for these cards with the open source radeon driver is relatively recent. It's not surprising that 10.04 might have some issues with this card.

Because the linux graphics stack can vary quite a bit between distros, it's not simple to say this or that distro will work better. Because of the recent work on support for this card, it's likely more current distros will work better. (Kubuntu 10.10 is the most recent *buntu release, and 11.04 should be out in a week or so.)

Regardless though, to get the most of the card, you may want the non-free Catalyst driver from ATI.

If the Ubuntu live CD is failing, the alternate text installer should get it installed. Once installed you can get the catalyst driver as described in the above link.

Just Joined!

Thanks

I'm currently downloading the newest release of Linux Mint, I'm going to try that from the live DVD first, hopefully since it was released this month it will have the necessary drivers in it. If it doesn't work, I'll download the driver from the site that the link you posted leads me too.

If it comes to a text install, which I've never done, I will probably be back to the forums! Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread (if that is indeed what I'm doing) but I have the same graphics card in a Studio XPS from Dell- it does dual-boot Win7 but I've mainlined Fedora 14 (going to upgrade to 15 when that's released). I have been noticing small things like windows getting drag type lines all over them, and I think it's a driver issue. I also can't do any 3d (which I know isn't true, because this graphics card ran Mass Effect just fine on the Win7 disk)

The standard driver that came with the DVD version is what I'm using right now. I've tried getting a driver off AMD's website but I get this error instead:

MIME type not supported /home/Nick/Downloads/ati-driver-installer-10-4-x86.x86_64.run

So then I opened up a terminal to see if I could just get yum to find something. No matches on various incarnations of "ati radeon" "radeon 5450" etc. Suggestions for next course of action?