Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, What is the difference in function between; 1) ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B Asus M4A87TD/USB3 - Specs & Reviews 2) ASUS M4A87TD EVO AMD 870,DDR3,eSATA,1394a,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Mainboard features

Hi folks,

What is the difference in function between;

1)
    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B
    Asus M4A87TD/USB3 - Specs & Reviews

2)
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO AMD 870,DDR3,eSATA,1394a,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B
    Asus M4A87TD EVO - Specs & Reviews

What I'm aware is 2) with eSATA. What is its main feature? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    #2 is basically the same as #1, but with some (possibly important) differences. These are:

#2 has two PCIe x16 slots, vs 1 PCIe x16 and 1 x4 slots for #1
    #2 has an external Sata (eSata) port to attach a high speed external drive or array.
    #2 has an IEEE 1394 firewire port
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    #2 is basically the same as #1, but with some (possibly important) differences. These are:
    Hi Rubberman,

Thanks for your advice.

#2 has two PCIe x16 slots, vs 1 PCIe x16 and 1 x4 slots for #1
    I suppose 2xPCIe is for dual display/monitor? If I have only one then I don't need 2 of them.

#2 has an IEEE 1394 firewire port
    If the external device, e.g. HD, doesn't have firewire connection, I can't use this port?

Please advise. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Firewire is commonly used for video camera input, as well as disc drives (Apple compatible), and networking. The speed is 400-800mbps, which is in the USB2 to USB3 performance range. The eSata port may be of more interest, as that allows you to connect a 3gbps external sata drive or disc array to the system. Myself, I would opt for that ability, along with the 1394 port. The second PCIe x16 port can be used for x4 capabilities as well. If you want an AMD processor, this seems to be a nice board(s).

Linux Guru
    Firewire is commonly used for video camera input, as well as disc drives (Apple compatible), and networking. The speed is 400-800mbps, which is in the USB2 to USB3 performance range. The eSata port may be of more interest, as that allows you to connect a 3gbps external sata drive or disc array to the system. Myself, I would opt for that ability, along with the 1394 port. The second PCIe x16 port can be used for x4 capabilities as well. If you want an AMD processor, this seems to be a nice board(s).
    Hi,

I'm planning building a new AMD box with 16G RAM on board

Config.

- CPU
    AMD PHENOM II X6 HDT90ZFBGRBOX 1090T

- RAM
    A-DATA AD8GK21600G Over Clock XPG Gaming Series DDR-3 1600 8G Kit (2 sets)

- Mainboard
    ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD 870,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s ATX M/B

OR

ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880G,DDR3,USB3.0,SATA3 6Gb/s,M.ATX M/B
    WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB SATA3/64MB HDD

- HD
    WD Caviar Black 2002FAEX 2TB SATA3/64MB HDD

This will be a Virtual machine running Orcle VirtualBox as virtualizer

I'll use the onboard video card

Regarding Mainboard:
    All PCs are on lan connected via a router supplied by ISP. The max tranfer rate is only 100M. If I need faster speed I have to purchase a new router. But in this arrangement ISP won't provide technical support. Actually I don't need their support, just in case. Therefore I think I don't need eSATA?

Regarding RAM:
    I'm now considering "Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9 DDR3 1600 16G Kit (4Gx4)". Its price is much higher than that of 2 sets of "A-DATA AD8GK21600G Over Clock XPG Gaming Series DDR-3 1600 8G Kit"

Any comment/suggestion? TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Everything seems ok. However, instead of a new router, you can get a gigabit switch that all the systems connect to, including the router. The router then becomes just a gateway to the internet and local LAN router. That's how I have my network configured. All my gigabit-capable systems (workstation, laptop when in dock, NAS units, etc) are connected to an 8 port gigabit switch, and all the other slow cruft is connected to the router. Works great.

As for memory, make sure you get registered fully buffered ECC RAM, no matter what the "name" of the RAM is that you are getting. For reliability, that is crucial. Crucial as well as Kingston both have good products that meet that specification. DO NOT get unbuffered non-ECC RAM. Trust me, reliability is more than it is cracked up to be.

Linux Guru
    Everything seems ok. However, instead of a new router, you can get a gigabit switch that all the systems connect to, including the router. The router then becomes just a gateway to the internet and local LAN router. That's how I have my network configured. All my gigabit-capable systems (workstation, laptop when in dock, NAS units, etc) are connected to an 8 port gigabit switch, and all the other slow cruft is connected to the router. Works great.

As for memory, make sure you get registered fully buffered ECC RAM, no matter what the "name" of the RAM is that you are getting. For reliability, that is crucial. Crucial as well as Kingston both have good products that meet that specification. DO NOT get unbuffered non-ECC RAM. Trust me, reliability is more than it is cracked up to be.
    Hi,

Thanks for your further advice.

ECC RAM is for server?

AMD Memory Solutions:
    AMD Memory Solutions - Memory

It brings up another consideration to me.

Would it be advisable to build a server box? (I never built server box before). There is NOT much increase on investment upgrading my project to a server box. The price of AMD cpu of Phonom II X6 and AMD opteron is very close. For a server AMD cpu I shed my eyes on;

AMD Opteron OS2347PAL4BGH CPU
    AMD Opteron OS8347PAL4BGH CPU

AMD Third Generation Opteron 2347 HE - OS2347PAL4BGH (OS2347PAL4BGHWOF)
    AMD Third Generation Opteron 2347 HE - OS2347PAL4BGH (OS2347PAL4BGHWOF)

AMD Third Generation Opteron 8347 HE - OS8347PAL4BGH
    AMD Third Generation Opteron 8347 HE - OS8347PAL4BGH

Of course I must pay more for a 2-cpu server mainboard. At start I can run a sigle Opteron and add another one later. However I can increase the memory size on a server box.

What will be your comment?

Regarding gigabit switch whether you meant;
    5 Port Gigabit Switches
    5 Port Gigabit Switch | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Five ports will be sufficient for my application.

Connection
    ==========

ISP -> Modem -> router -> gigabit switch -> PCs
    ?

What will be your recommendation on brand? There are many makers, Lynksys, Cisco, Netgear etc.

TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I have an 8 port Linksys (Cisco) gigabit switch. It has worked well for several years. I had an earlier model (with fan) that overheated and failed. The current model has no fan, but runs cool enough to work well on a 365x24 basis.