Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently upgraded my graphics card form ATI Radeon 7500 to 9600 Pro and have 2 monitors connected, DVI & VGA. On the old card, almost all Linux systems displayed ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

I recently upgraded my graphics card form ATI Radeon 7500 to 9600 Pro and have 2 monitors connected, DVI & VGA. On the old card, almost all Linux systems displayed on both monitors but since the upgrade only Mandiva will show on both, the others Suse, Knoppix, Kanoitx and any Ubuntu systems such as Mint, YMLF etc, will only appear on the VGA monitor.

Is there a Ubuntu or Debian driver available that will resolve this for me? Preferably something on a GUI install.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

I would try booting from a Live Disc from your favourite Linux.
    If both monitors get used, then this would indicate that it is something that has probably happened at some time to your existing Linux system, so that it cannot now display on both monitors (most likely a driver issue).

Live Discs (usually) use non-proprietary open-source drivers.
    I have friends who have ATI cards also, and they say that Linux support from ATI is not always so great.
    The use of open-source drivers means that won't be any shenanigans, for example with the driver attempting to prevent you from displaying Hi-Res stuff on a TV. It is possible that a proprietary driver is mis-identifying what is going on, and applying some sort of blockage.
    Who knows? This is the problem with closed-source stuff, it is really difficult to know what is going on exactly.

Most OSs have no trouble with dual monitors, so you might want to look at trying a variety of different OSs via Live Disc, until you find one that definitely works to your satisfaction.
    Changing OS is a big task, and not one that anyone would do on a whim. The reason for change needs to be compelling. The ability to use your expensive new hardware may be a sufficiently compelling reason.

If you try different OSs via Live Disc, and still have no dual monitor, this would point at something in the hardware. You may have the luxury of a second PC where you can swap out the video cards and test the new card in a different environment. If so, try doing this to eliminate possible problems with your existing mobo, power supply, etc.

If the card still does not work properly, this is a good indication that there is a problem with the card itself. You would most likely have to return it for a warranty claim or similar.

Hope this helps.

It's not a faulty card because it works fine in both XP and Windows 7, which are in the multi-boot mix plus Mandiva uses it no problem. I would reckon it's driver related, so it may not be an easy one to resolve.
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Does Mandriva have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file? If yes, then you might be able to copy that to your other distro and make it work that way.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

If all seems to be working properly with other OSs on the same hardware base, then it looks like you have correctly identified that it is a driver-type issue with your existing system.
    If you are not confident with identifying and copying over driver files, etc as suggested, then you might want to back up all your documents, and important stuff, make a list of all your fave programs, then do a clean install of the latest version of your existing system.

If it doesn't work, then nothing lost really (except for a bit of time and reinstallation of your fave programs again) as you were probably going to have to find another OS which doesn't have problems anyway.