Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello! I'm trying to use an USB fingerprint reader in a embedded ARM9 kit. I've compiled a LFS Linux to use. Now, I need to use the reader, but when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] USB Fingerprint Reader

Hello!

I'm trying to use an USB fingerprint reader in a embedded ARM9 kit. I've compiled a LFS Linux to use. Now, I need to use the reader, but when I run the examples of the lib (libfprint), it can't find the device. When I connect it to the kit, the following messages are presented:

Code:
    usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using s3c24010-ohci and address 2
    usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ba, idProduct=000a
    usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    usb 1-1: Product: U.are.U 4000B Fingerprint Reader
    usb 1-1: Manufacturer: DigitalPersona, Inc.
    usb 1-1: SerialNumber: {XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}
    usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    I read in somewhere that I need to 'mount' it, with mentions of 'usbfs'. What is this? Is a function? Is an app? Someone have an idea to help me?

Kentucky or the South Pole with the Penguins
    The Fingerprint SDK Java-based application must have read-write access to the file representing the fingerprint reader in udev or usbfs filesystems. Such file is located in /dev/bus/usb (udev) or /proc/bus/usb (usbfs). There are many ways to meet this requirement, which depends on your Linux distribution:

On some distributions, nothing will be required at all.
    Fingerprint SDK Java ships with a installer script, Griaule FingerCap 1.2 Installer.sh, which automatically sets permissions on supported fingerprint readers.
    The correct owner/group values may change on each distribution, check it's documentation.
    This script might not work with older versions of udev.
    On many distributions, you just have to add the user running the Java application to the usb group.
    For more details, see the udev or usbfs docs of your Linux distribution.
    Dude I'm lost with the whole LSF Linux. Maybe that's where some of the problem is, if you've followed the installation guide correct for it anyway. But I found ALL KINDS of guides, but they are ALL for different distros, and wouldn't know where to start with the whole LSF Linux...

Which distro guides/guide have you followed?

Tried this one yet? --->Fingerprint readers integration
    Looks pretty legit, but it's for ubuntu, and that's not what you got soooooo

Heres a little more on the "mount" tho ---> mount options for usbfs <--- Bout half-way down the page.

This right here:

Hope this helps!

SunshineFolk

I checked my system, and my system has the /proc/bus/usb folder, but the 'ls' command didn't returned anything.

About the links, the in the first, based on Ubuntu, I didn't find any information about the activation of the reader. The libfprint is already installed in my system. The second link, in the part that you did a screenshot, I don't know about the 'none' command. I tried to run it, but the command doesn't exists in my system. Is 'none' a command?

Maybe this is the key to solve the problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Well, the none isn't a command like you were asking. It CAN be applied to commands after initial command to either disable or prevent, but in this case it's not referring to that. I would have thought the same until I tried it

But it's basically saying to edit (gedit?) the "ect/fstab" file, and add the line given, or add the "none" to the beginning of that line, whichever seems relevant when you look in that file. (IDK)

Then just follow the rest of the screenshot or link to finish mounting it.

Maybe this will help better understand mounting of just ANY usb --> USB Device Filesystem

I don't reccomend trying those ^ commands tho unless you feel comfortable with it, since it is just mounting any ol' regular USB device, and not this Fingerprint Scanner your doing. (May not have a difference but guides on setting THAT up seem a little different, sorta.) So I'd stick with those guides unless you think just any "mount" will work. I couldn't tell ya man.

This scanner sounds pretty BadA tho. I'd like to see one in action!!!

SunshineFolk

It worked! I put the following line at the end of the /etc/fstab file:

Code:
    usbfs	/proc/bus/usb	usbfs	defaults,devgid=108,devmode=0664,busgid=108,busmode=0775,listgid=108,listmode=0660	0	0
    I mixed the values that I see in various places, but I simply don't know what these values means. Hahahahahaahahaahah

And Neither Do I My Friend!

Haha, oh well... Good luck with it! You gonna make a Youtube video showing how sweet that thing is? I haven't really searched for one on there (I'm sure there are a LOT) but I'd like to see one. And wouldn't mind giving you the "views" for it hahaha

But good to see it working man! Mark this thread [SOLVED] though if you don't mind, so some others can get some benefit from it

Take care man

SunshineFolk

Thanx man! =)