Find the answer to your Linux question:
A couple of weeks ago I bought an HP dm4-1160us model notebook. I left windows on for a couple of weeks because I was really busy and didn't have time ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question HP Notebook's Touch Pad left mouse click doesn't work !?

A couple of weeks ago I bought an HP dm4-1160us model notebook. I left windows on for a couple of weeks because I was really busy and didn't have time to install Ubuntu. Unfortunately when I started up my Ubuntu live cd/dvd I noticed that my touch pad doesn't work properly in that the right touch pad button acts the same as the right touch pad button. As a result I can't perform a right mouse click. (BTW, I tried Crunch Bang, Mint, Ubuntu, SuperOS, and ElementaryOS live CDs. Same problem in all of them.)

I would like to take the notebook back, but it's been almost 3 weeks and I don't think I can get away with it. (I bought it at Office Depot).

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?? Any advice? Anything I can try? Maybe Office Depot will take back the laptop. Maybe I can set the mouse clicks to all act as right mouse clicks (I just thought of that) and use double taps for right mouse clicks (I could live with that). Maybe there's some package somewhere that will help (fingers crossed).

(Unfortunately it appears to be a fairly proprietary multi-touch pad, though it uses synaptic, so I think Linux just doesn't support it yet.

I would appreciate any and all advice and suggestions.
    Last edited by addlinux; 06-11-2011 at 12:35 AM. Reason: By "left" I meant "right". :)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you looked on the HP web site yet for a driver you can install? Or other help from HP?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    You seem to be confusing left and right click, but if it's like my dv6 laptop, there is a fix. The device is called a "Clickpad", btw, for googling.
    This page seems to have instructions for Ubuntu; and here is a great guide for Gentoo boxes. There's a general xf86-input-synaptics patch somewhere, but these have instructions.
    Last edited by hrasdt; 06-26-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: 15th post, links

Just Joined!

a bit late but here's a solution

Same deal with my HP.

Go to the mouse settings,buttons tab.
    Move "double click speed" cursor to fast or slow and see which one opens the folder easiest.
    Your left button will then work.
    I had to slide mine to fast.
    Sounds weird but it works.

Just Joined!
    Didn't work for me! any other suggestions, anybody?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Hardware problem perhaps? HP used to have decent hardware diagnostic tools on their web site. Don't know about now, but it does seem that you have a bad button/switch.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!