Find the answer to your Linux question:
I swapped out the Canon iP1800 to buy HP 1000 j110a series as it was less expensive than the ink cartridges. Have HP1000 working under XP Pro; trying for Slackware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Hplip & hp dj 1000

I swapped out the Canon iP1800 to buy HP 1000 j110a series as it was less expensive than the ink cartridges.
    Have HP1000 working under XP Pro; trying for Slackware 13.0.
    HPLIP at hplipopensource.com downloaded but confused by instructions because information states Slack most successful with HPIJS not full HPLIP??
    Manual build does not seem to consider CUPS until last step ( in hp-setup is that correct?? Can I just use CUPS without HPLIP??

Looked over Configuration/installation of HPLIP for Slackware. It uses numerous enables/disables. Scanned web and found expansion of the configuration step had different enables/disables. If I am not using FAX or SCANNER can I re-write the ./configure line to disable those and leave hpijs install disabled ??
    Am I correct in understanding that CUPS is enabled in the configure step??
    What are PPD files and what is foomatic??
    CUPS is installed but presume to leave Canon configured until I get straightened out on this configration step.
    Suggestions and ANSwers needed, Thanx in advance.

Linux User
    Not a slack expert, but compile and install the source from hplipopensource.com and then run hp-setup as root. It will set up/add the printer for you and you will be able to use it OK. It should add the printer to cups automatically.
    To get the hp-systray to run so you can monitor the printer, run hp-systray.

(Last time I did this was in SUSE enterprise, but it should work for slack)

If slack supplies the hplip software, you should be able to install it and run it in the same way.

HPLIP and cups have been integrated for quite a while now and I think what your reading is telling you is that as long as you have the hpijs drivers installed, you can add the printer in cups.
    I like the hplip extras that the hp-systray gives though and think it is worthwhile to use it.

Linux User

Hplip & hp dj 1000

Thanx whych 4 UR response.
    Slackware install of hplip is entirely manual.
    I have since rediscovered that PPD is postscript print driver not python which I purposely did not install when I built the system.
    Step 4 of of the manual procedure is configuration. It has a lengthy list of enables/disables. My printer is HP 1000 j110a series and is printer only.
    The ./configure command has enabled network build but since this is a locally attached printer don't think I need it??
    It also enables fax and scan build which I have neither. Can I disable these?? It also disables cups drv(driver(s)?) install which seemed odd but they must know better?
    Make needs non-root privs which is OK by me but it uses su -c "make install" which I think is root privs isn't it? Man page did not make that clear. Can someone clarify?
    The last step, 8, runs hp-setup which asks to select discovered device and to select appropriate PPD driver for my printer. I have NO idea what those should be nor the PPD file name requested later.
    If you or someone could advise on this it will help.
    I hate leaving stuff especially in /usr that I might not use 'cuz I shouldn't of put it there out of ignorance but I'm picky that way.

Linux User
    When I installed it, I made sure I had the required libraries as listed on hp's hplip site and just ran ./configure; ./make and installed it.
    I went with the defaults.
    The fax/scan items are for the hp printers that have these functions - since hplip caters for all supported hp printers, it is built in and only enabled if the printer supports it.
    If you want the gui tools, I seem to remember you need the gtk libriaries.
    When you run the hp-setup, it usually gives a choice of drivers prefixed by the printer model. If not, do a search for the correct one to use for your printer.
    The network options will be for jetdirect printers.
    There is a hp openprinting/forum answers site associated with the hp-openprinting site. Have a search there.
    Sorry, I can't be more help, my fedora system has a package for hplip and probably does it differntly.
    I must say though, I have never had a problem getting an hp printer running with hplip on most distros.
    Like I said in my last post, you should be able to install it from cups with just hpij installed.

Linux User
    If you look at the hplip website you will find the instructions for installing in slack:
    HP Linux Imaging and Printing

Linux User
    OK Finally ready to attempt the manual install for Slackware (ver. 13.0).
    When I checked the Dependencies I find the following are not on my system and am wondering if cups and cups-devel have not been combined and if I need cups-image? Also python-devel and python-xml and am wondering on the effect and/or it either has been interrelated into one of the other python dependencies, i.e. how current are the dependencies?

Linux User
    I take it that by 'The following...', you are referring to cups and python.
    hplip is integrated with cups and also uses python, so you need to have both installed to install/compile hplip.