Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just broke yet another external drive and this time it broke in a way that made me doubt it is actually completely broken. I had 2 Partitions on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

One of two partitions broken.

Hi, I just broke yet another external drive and this time it broke in a way that made me doubt it is actually completely broken. I had 2 Partitions on that drive, and one of them can still be accessed perfectly. The other one however cannot even be deleted, and it seems there is only a small part of it broken because Linux only stops the deletion process after like one or two minutes.
    So I was wondering, is there a way to "cut" the bad part out? Like creating a third partition to isolate it from the good part?

Greetings,
    kiriri

Linux Guru
    You need to be a little more specific about "broke it". What exactly happened? What's on the drives? Operating system? Data partitions? What filesystem type? What are you using to "delete" the partitions?

Just Joined!
    it's an external drive I used to store unimportant files on.
    It's connected via USB and it broke right when I tried to install fedora on it. So I'm not sure which filesystem type it is right now, but the working partition is NTFS. Windows doesn't even recognize it at all.

I used the standard Ubuntu manager to try to delete or format it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Are you trying to delete files on the partition using a file manager, or delete the partition using gparted?

the output of the following would also be useful ...
    Code:
    mount
    sudo fdisk -l
    sudo blkid