Find the answer to your Linux question:
Please bare with me I am a PC dumb blonde and new to all this!!!! I have an Acer Aspire 1650 which had bad sectors on the HDD! So, following ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HDD problem!!!

Please bare with me I am a PC dumb blonde and new to all this!!!!

I have an Acer Aspire 1650 which had bad sectors on the HDD! So, following advice I purchased a new 320gb Samsung 2.5 SATA HDD. When I received it I noticed that the connections are different??? Have I bought the wrong thing (even though I asked the guy in PC World!!!)? What can I do now?

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello

Post the model numbers of both drives and it will be easier for someone to answer your question.
    oz

AUG/10

Custom Search
    Acer Aspire 1650 series Features, User Manual, User Guide

Acer Aspire 1650 Notebook series Features
    Microprocessor
    • Intel® Pentium® M Processor 725A/730/740/750/760/770/780 or
    higher
    • Intel® 915PM Express chipset
    Memory
    • 256/512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM standard, upgradeable to 2048 MB
    with dual soDIMM modules
    • 512 KB flash ROM BIOS
    Data storage
    • One 40 GB and above E-IDE hard disk (2.5”, 9.5mm, UltraDMA-100)
    • One internal optical drive
    The guy at guy in PC World should have told you from what I read on your specs is that your laptop uses a IDE hard drive instead of a sata hardrive. That is why the connections are different. Sounds like you bought the wrong type of hard drive to me. Your bios probably only supports small lba also which means only 125 gig of 320 gigs wiill be recognized also. You need to check if your bios has 48bit support for big lba in bios.

How to check bios is 48 bit? - Hard-Disks - Storage
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    The hdd which is in the machine is: Samsung HM120JC 120GB ATA-6 5400RPM 9.5MM 8MB Buffer 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive.

What I have purchased is SAMSUNG HM321HI Internal 2.5" SATA Hard Drive - 320GB.

Hope this helps

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Debale View Post
    The hdd which is in the machine is: Samsung HM120JC 120GB ATA-6 5400RPM 9.5MM 8MB Buffer 2.5 Notebook Hard Drive.

What I have purchased is SAMSUNG HM321HI Internal 2.5" SATA Hard Drive - 320GB.

Hope this helps
    According to the SAMSUNG website, the original drive is IDE and the new one is SATA. You'll need to either return the new drive and exchange it for another IDE drive, or connect the new drive to a SATA port if there is one available. My guess is that an exchange will be required.
    oz

Just Joined!
    If I purchase a 120gb ide hard drive will that be ok?

oz
    forum.guy
    That's what you had in it originally according to your earlier post, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the actual size of the drive is the same as the original drive.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    That's what you had in it originally according to your earlier post, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work as long as the actual size of the drive is the same as the original drive.
    Sorry, I copied and pasted the incorrect info. The drive in the machine is 100gb not 120gb?

oz
    forum.guy
    The difference in drive capacity won't matter unless you need more space than what the drive offers.
    oz