Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Well, I don't know about current WinPhone systems, but hopefully the new version ( WinPhone7? ) will let you plug it into any USB port and act like a USB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.

Well, I don't know about current WinPhone systems, but hopefully the new version ( WinPhone7? ) will let you plug it into any USB port and act like a USB drive. My android phone does that just great, so I can upload/download media or other files without fussing about.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Nokia's decision to go with WinPhone has pretty much made up my mind about buying Nokia phones. I don't expect to own another one.

tho
    Just Joined!
    @sgosnell: You're getting a bit off topic here, but I will take the bait this time... It's quite logic to not buy a Windows Phone if you can't use it with your (and mine) preferred desktop OS.
    If you avoid MS out of principle there are a lot of equally good reasons to avoid Google as well. I don't know if you followed the link I posted previously, but if this is Googles understanding of Open Source than I don't like it at all, and at least it should be obvious why any company selling not only products but as well services cannot seriously consider using Android as their base. At least not if their service (navigation/location based service etc.) is in competition with Google. Google does not sell Android Licenses for money, but they do give it in exchange for exclusive use of their services on the device. If you like monopolies, it's up to you. For me this makes Google the new Microsoft, with only slightly adjusted strategy.

Regarding Nokia: They don't have only Windows phones. I'm currently pretty happy with the N9, also it is not yet for sale, and also MeeGo will not be continued I'm definitely looking forward for the things to come

From the usability point of view I also had some first impression of Android. My wife bought her first (and last) Android a couple of weeks ago.

I have been keeping up with this thread. I am not into phones myself (too umbilical for me), but, I am keeping track for when my wife migrates to some kind of pad phone. I want it to be able to interface with her Windows Vista and Windows 7 gear and my Linux gear also like her Zire that she has.

So
    From the usability point of view I also had some first impression of Android. My wife bought her first (and last) Android a couple of weeks ago.
    Left me hanging for the sequel.

I know how to google for stuff like this. But . Time is been short for trouble shooting purposes for me lately being m/c season.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

tho
    Just Joined!
    @rokytnji: By outing myself as Nokia employee I wanted to avoid the allegation of astro-turfing, and for the same reason I didn't want to go too deep into Android criticism. I think from consumer perspective it is a good choice for some customers, and I do not claim that all Android devices suffer the same problems; this might be specific to her LG Optimus Black.

However this is an Android phone, and with 380 (Amazon price from Germany) not the cheapest at that, also admittedly she got it "for free" with her operator contract.

The usability issues my wife had were
    1. The first video she took, she was not able to play back on the device. However, later on it somehow worked. She was not able to tell me if there was some SW update in the meantime.
    2. When she wanted to connect as mass storage device, the PC (Windows 7 in her case) wanted to install some drivers. My PC (Ubuntu) didn't want to connect it as mass storage. After fiddeling with the driver and rebooting the phone and the computer, she was able to connect the phone as mass storage. However, a couple of days later it didn't work anymore. After rebooting the phone and the PC id did work again. An USB stick worked fine without PC reboot, so I don't think it was a completely messed up Windows machine.

Besides she didn't yet try to backup her contact, and I would not like to advice her to use the Google account for that. I heard some people had problems doing this without using Google account, so this might be something you want to verify before considering to buy an Android phone. (The first thing on my WP test device was also to set contact synchronization to manual so it will not forward my contacts to MS Live, so its not a specific bias against Google but just general paranoia )

Basically I think there is still no optimal smartphone OS available. WP can currently only be used properly with Windows PC, Android is much too fragmented to give a general judgement, iPhone is too closed, Symbian seems to be hard to maintain/improve (also I like the newest Symbian UI which will become public hopefully soon), MeeGo is not yet on the market... So still room for either something new or something existing to improve greatly.
    rokytnji likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2