Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hi, For some reason I have to familiarize with a Windows Phone device. Is there any way to copy Music to such devices from a Linux box, or even to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    tho
    Just Joined!

Stupid question... Windows Phone with Linux?

Hi,
    For some reason I have to familiarize with a Windows Phone device. Is there any way to copy Music to such devices from a Linux box, or even to synchronize some other content?

I have one myself for corporate reasons.

And no. No way.
    This is very proprietary ms country
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

tho
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for your reply. I was already afraid so, but I hoped there might be an app or something available. You tried to send yourself an mp3 via Mail? Is it possible to store such an attachment on the device? (My device is currently at my workplace in the drawer, so I can't check right now...)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    You tried to send yourself an mp3 via Mail? Is it possible to store such an attachment on the device?
    It's worth a try. Most phones are detected as a USB storage device when attached to a computer. The main hitch you might run into is file size. Many email services have a maximum file size that you can send.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

You can't just copy the files to the memory card? Or Windows phones don't have a memory card? I have an Android phone, and while the phone can be set to mass storage, it's easy enough to remove the microSD card, put it in a card reader, and transfer the files to the card, especially if you don't have a cable handy.

tho
    Just Joined!
    No, you can't. Windows Phone does support a microSD card, but it is encrypted and if you take it out or put in another one, the phone performs a factory reset. I guess this is part of their security concept. For probably the same reason the Phone does not provide a Mass Storage mode. You can copy media files using Zune software, but as far as I know this does not run with Wine.

As a Nokia employee my company won't give me an Android phone as test device for some reason, so this does not help me. Usually I prefer to use either Maemo (N900), MeeGo (N9/N950) or Symbian devices (preferably E7), but now I have to familiarize with WP7 as well, and since our team is not directly involved in it's development I don't get any special insider information; therefore I thought it is worth a try to ask here

Well, that convinces me to never consider a Windows phone.

tho
    Just Joined!
    Yes, I can understand that, also I still think it is a good device for most average Windows-Desktop users. I just hope that Nokia will provide some way to copy at least media files to the device from other operating systems. But to avoid the wrong impression here: I still appreciate that Nokia didn't go for Android, considering Googles understanding of Open Source (thisismynext.com/2011/05/12/google-android-skyhook-lawsuit-motorola-samsung/). With Android, I don't think Nokia would be allowed to continue offering offline navigation or the other services they provide.

I just think that for my needs the N9 or Symbian is a better fit.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you run Windows in a virtual machine and can redirect the USB port from Linux to Windows, then you can use Windows software to access the phone's accessible portions.

Personally, I am boycotting MS and Sony products. I still run XP in a Linux virtual machine for the 1 or 2 programs I use for my business that won't play nice with Wine.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

tho
    Just Joined!
    @Rubberman: Thanks, but I think this is not an option for me. I'd still need a full Windows license to do this, and also I don't actively boycott MS I don't think it's good value to by the OS just to be able to use my mobile phone. I was hoping for some tool that emulates zune somehow or for some information to get zune running with wine, or maybe an app which supports import of multimedia files from other systems

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast