Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am preparing to change my hardware configuration. The motherboard is a KT4V-L and an AMD 2200+ with one IDE port containing a DVD-RW and DVD-ROM as master slave respectively. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Adding SATA plus IDE ports

I am preparing to change my hardware configuration. The motherboard is a KT4V-L and an AMD 2200+ with one IDE port containing a DVD-RW and DVD-ROM as master slave respectively. The power supply is 400W. The other IDE port has an 80GB drive with XP Pro and Slackware all bootable via LILO. Since I have a 250GB SATA HD available I wanted to employ it to hold Linux distro and the 80GB to hold the existing XP after using Parted Magic to remove the partitions and converting the remainder of the drive to NTFS. The SATA takes up one entire IDE port by itself where I plan to create Slackware's v.13.37. I bought CREATIVE I/O's Ultra ATA IDE PCI controller card with the intention of creating 2 IDE ports there to replace the IDE port hogged by the SATA drive and support my 80GB XP only drive. According to the specs (not using RAID) everything looks like it should work fine. Searching the web I found disquieting and unresolved problems not entirely like my planned configuration.
    My questions are:
    1) Are there likely problems when using LILO to use the 80GB drive's MBR when XP is mounted via the PCI controller card??
    2) Will my plan necessitate re-authentication XP?
    3) Especially if I drop an E: partition/drive: from XP?
    4) Will Parted Magic really be able to remove the partitioning and create NTFS on the 80GB drive?
    5) Will I need to put SATA drive on the first IDE port for BIOS to boot from/to it?
    6) I seen mention of a safety problem with XP if another drive is on, I hadn't noticed anything, so should I change that?
    Does anyone see a flaw in this plan and if so how to correct it?
    If I can't get this plan to work I need to get these parts back to the vendor by Friday.
    Last edited by clickit; 07-19-2011 at 06:28 PM.