Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello people, I'm looking for a new webcam, since I bought an incompatible one five years ago and the drivers for Linux haven't been developed yet (1b17:6111). Now there's two ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Compatibility issues, Genius Webcam FaceCam 1000 and 3000, which1 buy?

Hello people,

I'm looking for a new webcam, since I bought an incompatible one five years ago and the drivers for Linux haven't been developed yet (1b17:6111).

Now there's two options, Genius FaceCam 1000 (US$ 30) or FaceCam 3000 (US$ 55). Which one is better (more compatible with Ubuntu 10.04, better performance) and why?

What about the relation cost/benefit? What's the real hardware difference between them? Because the 25 dollars difference.

Perhaps somebody has experiences with them?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Before you make any irrevocable purchase decisions, check out this web site: Webcam support
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hey Rubberman, thanks a bunch.

You are the only person who has got the honesty and kindness of giving me some kind of answer.

I was looking on this list, but I didn't find the webcams I'm planning to buy.

Strange thing, in the genius website, it says it supports Linux out of the box
    No driver is required for Windows 7, MAC and Linux systems

It's hard to be a Linux user when you have to buy peripherals.

Nobody uses this webcam?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by tauro_kpo View Post
    Hey Rubberman, thanks a bunch.

You are the only person who has got the honesty and kindness of giving me some kind of answer.

I was looking on this list, but I didn't find the webcams I'm planning to buy.

Strange thing, in the genius website, it says it supports Linux out of the box .

It's hard to be a Linux user when you have to buy peripherals.

Nobody uses this webcam?
    The newer distributions support a lot of webcams "out-of-the-box". If they say it is supported by Linux, then one of the newer distributions should work fine with it. I run Ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop (32-bit) and it works fine with my usb webcam - no drivers necessary. On CentOS (RHEL) 5.x I had to install the driver from the site I provided the link to for you. The Ubuntu 9.04 system has a newer kernel than CentOS 5 had.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!