Find the answer to your Linux question:
Have a pair of Maxtor MaxLine III drives from another machine I want to put into this one. The 250G drives are the same size and age. I have been ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Bringing Hard Drive to Life

Have a pair of Maxtor MaxLine III drives from another machine I want to put into this one. The 250G drives are the same size and age. I have been able to put Slackware on one and checked the SMART specs showing OK. The other is not responding. I am using the same SATA to IDE converter for both drives when checking. Initially the difficult one partitioned OK but since is not responding under Parted Magic and Slackware 13.0. I can't think what is different about testing one vs the other. The troubling one had less access than the one which works.
    I used the converter in the same mobo IDE port as I did for the working one so bios didn't need changing.
    Is there a manufacturer program I can run under Linux or from live cd that can check this drive. I am having a hard time believing it is really doa.
    Last edited by clickit; 08-02-2011 at 05:32 PM.

I am high on the PC techy scale but new to Linux. Using a basic approach it seems that the two drives might be trying to utilize one channel (similar to IRQ in Windows). You probably need to delve into mount options - on Linux. Like I said, sounds like the two maybe trying to mount in one space. Try the one that will not work alone.

Are you installing them both, or testing one at a time?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Sorry if I mislead, when I said "using the same SATA to IDE converter for both drives" to indicate all testing done on drives individually, but thanks anyway.
    Do not intend to use "slap" test method. Wow! couldn't believe that myth is still circulating (we have improved tolerances) when I prowled the web.

And does these drives have switches for master and slave? Could be another issue. But you are well ahead of us already.

Just Joined!
    Seagate has a bootable CD image called Seatools available for download to test Seagate and Maxtor drives. I can't post the URL but go to the Seagate support site and look for downloads.

Linux User
    SATA drives have no master/slave switch. One SATA drive going thru converter plugs into IDE port on mobo. The one I am using takes a 5V power plug to run converter and drive. Thanx 4 info on Seagate/Maxtor software will check it out. So far the Slackware 13.37 has installed a full version of itself into 100GB and except for /usr all other 8 partitions use single digit %ages of my allocation. Once by the teensy print on startup it really swings. BYEBYEmr gates forever. Used my XP IE a couple of times wow is it dog slow compared to FF and Linux.
    For completeness I do test things one at a time, prime objective is to reduce problem to its smallest numbers. Was using the 1 converter for testing each SATA drive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by clickit
    Do not intend to use "slap" test method.
    No, you use a sledge hammer! Just kidding, a rock will do.

Can you plug the trouble drive directly into a SATA port, maybe in another system, to confirm it is working?

Just Joined!
    Fundamental question: does the non-responsive drive spin up?
    You can possibly hear the motor sounds and the head positioning as it comes up.
    Also if the drive is not rigidly mounted anywhere you can try twisting it across the rotation axis to feel gyroscopic effects.