Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have an older Western Digital HD and would like to recover some of the data on it. Can anyone recommend a program that would help me. I am ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Recover data from old hard drive

Hello, I have an older Western Digital HD and would like to recover some of the data on it. Can anyone recommend a program that would help me. I am running Ubuntu, Lucid Lynx.
    Thank you, Victor1244

oz
    forum.guy
    Depending on exactly what you are wanting to do, TestDisk and PhotoRec work very well for data recovery. It's best to run them from a liveCD (I like the Parted Magic liveCD), and you can find instructions for using them on their website:

TestDisk - CGSecurity
    oz

Maybe it is as simple as connecting the drive?

In what condition is it?
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Thank you for your prompt replies. All I want to do is see what is on the drive and recover any relevant data. I have the cables to hook the drive to a USB port. The drive is spinning, but I can't retrieve any data (with windows). I have seen a previous post in the newsletter of this website that said there was a program that will recover anything if the drive is spinning. Unfortunately, I cannot find that post as it is at least a month old and I don't know what the title of the post was. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you, victor1244

Drive spinning itself doesnt mean too much..
    Again: In what condition is that drive in?
    How old is it, was it accessible the last time it was used, which filesystem(s) is(are) on it, etc

In case data was formatted/deleted: you might want to follow ozarīs hint and try TestDisk

Just Joined!
    Thanks again. I don't have any info on the drive other than it's a WD1600 (WD Caviar SE), enhanced IDE. It looks like it's in good shape and I am guessing that it has some version of Windows on it. I cannot find out which file system is being utilized. I have downloaded the aforementioned program and will try to do something with that. Thank you for that reference. Thanks for your help, victor1244

IF the drive is ok, then a mount might be sufficient.
    What does this say?
    Code:
    fdisk -l