Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I am using Debian Linux squeeze. I just purchased a new PC with a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Graphics Card and the install process never picked up the card ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Installing NVIDIA GeForce 500

Hi I am using Debian Linux squeeze.
    I just purchased a new PC with a NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 550 Graphics Card and the install process never picked up the card while doing setup, as a result I have a hopeless 800x600 display.
    I went to the NVIDIA sight and downloaded the file "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run" went to the "Super User" console and typed sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run with the following error "NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-280.13.run"
    Can anyone assist please ?

Thank you

I believe that you should learn how to configure the X Server (xorg.conf).

Check out these topics here at Linux Forums:

/ubuntu-linux/177759-nvidia-drivers.html
    /ubuntu-linux/181032-my-screen-resolution-dropped-down-i-cant-get-back-normal.html
    /ubuntu-linux/85139-stuck-800-x-600-screen-resolution.html

I've also sent you an external URL containing a guide on how to solve your problem.

Here are my notes: perfect install - using legacy. Search the NVIDIA packages on Debian Software site to find your version; and replace line 1 if different.

apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
    apt-get install nvidia-settings

*** create /etc/x11/org.conf (or modify - I had to create)

Section “Device”
    Identifier “My Gpu”
    Driver “nvidia”
    EndSection

#For multiple screens (not desktops)

Section “Screen”
    Identifier “My Screens”
    Option “TwinView” “1“
    EndSection

Then reboot and enjoy the NVidia splash screen.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphiel100 View Post
    I believe that you should learn how to configure the X Server (xorg.conf).

Check out these topics here at Linux Forums:

/ubuntu-linux/177759-nvidia-drivers.html
    /ubuntu-linux/181032-my-screen-resolution-dropped-down-i-cant-get-back-normal.html
    /ubuntu-linux/85139-stuck-800-x-600-screen-resolution.html

I've also sent you an external URL containing a guide on how to solve your problem.
    Hi and thanks for the information I found it very useful, I can now get 3 different resolutions, but still only able to get 1 screen not 2 working.

When I go to the System>Administration>Nvidia X Server Settings I get the following Error:
    "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."
    When I try to run 'nvidia-xconfig' as root I get the following error:
    "bash: nvidia-xconfig: command not found"

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Here are my notes: perfect install - using legacy. Search the NVIDIA packages on Debian Software site to find your version; and replace line 1 if different.

apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx
    apt-get install nvidia-settings

*** create /etc/x11/org.conf (or modify - I had to create)

Section “Device”
    Identifier “My Gpu”
    Driver “nvidia”
    EndSection

#For multiple screens (not desktops)

Section “Screen”
    Identifier “My Screens”
    Option “TwinView” “1“
    EndSection

Then reboot and enjoy the NVidia splash screen.
    Thank you for your help this also helped me initially to be able to get 1 screen and a 2nd screen resolution option, which was very useful.

Great. Since you have now created the file, and rebooted - NVIDIA-X Server Settings should display proper information. You should also see NVIDIA splash screen at bootup. If this is not the case, you have probably over-layered many versions of an install. My notes work from scratch - before any other attempts.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoDiddley View Post
    Great. Since you have now created the file, and rebooted - NVIDIA-X Server Settings should display proper information. You should also see NVIDIA splash screen at bootup. If this is not the case, you have probably over-layered many versions of an install. My notes work from scratch - before any other attempts.
    Hi BoDiddley,
    I tried your steps first, however these only gave me 2 screen resolutions and on reboot I did not get the Nvidia Splash Screen, and also had the same error message, that is why I then attempted to use the solution recommended by Seraphiel100

Thank you

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Are you sure that the nouveau driver is not still installed? You need to make sure that the nouveau driver is fully removed, and blacklisted, BEFORE you install the nVidia proprietary drivers (in text mode).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!