Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an old dell dimension 8250 which can take PC1066 or PC800 This is basically Rambius memory. I have 512 of PC800 and 512 of PC1066 so I thought ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

memory ?

I have an old dell dimension 8250
    which can take PC1066 or PC800
    This is basically Rambius memory.

I have 512 of PC800 and 512 of PC1066 so I thought I would put in both to make 1GB.
    what I am having trouble understand is why I am getting incorrect memory module errors on the bios screen.

Can you not mix memory modules even if both are correct for this machine. I have heard rambius is picky.

My other old computer has mix DDR 1 memory PC3200 and PC2400 and it works fine. Though I know in general it is not a good idea to mix memory types because usually they all run at the slower speed memory module.

But wondering if somebody knows for sure about rambius /dell dimension 8250 memory.

Maybe RIMM is more picky then DIMM or SIMM?

Note: I am not willing to buy more memory for this machine online. Just figured I would try to use up some spare memory that is lying around waiting to be thrown out. Soon the computer will probably be ready for throw out but figured I would try to squeeze some more juice out of it.

Most motherboards require identical memory to be used in all banks, though I can't say for certain on that specific computer.
    Really, the only other thought I have is to make sure that both of your RAM sticks are good. Try them one at a time, if you haven't already.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

jayd512 +1.
    You also might want to read the manual of your motherboard, as well as the ram compatibility list.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    all the ram chips are good I tested them.

As for mixing memory chips. I thought you can mix PC2700 with PC3200 they are both the same DDR just different speeds.
    Though I agree it is bad for performance to mix them and some times you may not beable to mix them.

I think if it is DIMM or maybe SIMM you can mix in alot of cases but I think this maybe RIMM for this dell dim 8250

Just wondering if somebody knew for sure. if you can or cannot mix rambius PC800 and PC1066 my motherboard supports both kinds.

As I mentioned earlier, most motherboards require identical memory to be used in all banks. Meaning bus speed, as well.
    Whether your board can use mixed RAM is dependent on the manufacturer and model number. This should be documented in the manual for that mobo.
    Although from the sound of it, I'm guessing that it can't.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

The problem with getting older is that first the mouse quits working, then the memory goes.
    Registered Linux user #526930

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by sam111 View Post
    Just wondering if somebody knew for sure. if you can or cannot mix rambius PC800 and PC1066 my motherboard supports both kinds.
    Hello

If you mix PC800 and PC1066 modules, they'll only operate as PC800. You can find the required memory types and specifications along with instructions for upgrading the memory for your motherboard here:

dell dimension 8250 - Documentation

dell dimension 8250 - Documentation

Be sure to follow the recommended pairings and put them in the proper rimm connectors.
    oz