Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just started to look, Fairly new to Linux as well, Liking it very much though and trying to stay way the hell away from Microsoft/Windows and thus as ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Recommendations on Digital Cameras working with Linux?

I have just started to look, Fairly new to Linux as well, Liking it very much though and trying to stay way the hell away from Microsoft/Windows and thus as I am about to buy a new Camera I am wanting to do a little homework before I do so as to not have to worry about booting over to win hell at all. Found a List which is rather hard to make out and would rather ask directly as well ~ Looking at spending 150 or so.

Ty,

~Jason

Hello and Welcome,
    It's been my experience so far that it doesn't seem to matter which Camera you get. They just get mounted like a pluggable USB drive and away you go. You can copy, edit, delete anything just like a regular hard disk. I suppose there are some Cameras that are troublesome and difficult to work with but I think your chances are very good that everything will just work. I have tried several brands and models of "Point and shoot" Cameras and they've all worked just fine. Just make sure you get a USB cable with it.
    Just FYI: If you have anything with a rechargeable battery, it needs to be used and recharged often or the battery will die. I just found out the hard way while on vacation our Camera battery died. The guy at the battery shop explained to me that these types of batteries just discharge after not being used and recharged for awhile.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    It's been my experience so far that it doesn't seem to matter which Camera you get.
    Welcome to the forums, EarthPhoenix!

I've used 4 or 5 different digital cameras over the last few years and they all worked fine with Linux, so I'd have to agree with MikeTbob that most should work. That's not to say that any Windows software that comes with them will work on Linux. There are some good native Linux camera apps, though, such as digikam, f-spot, gtkam, etc. More camera/photo apps for Linux can be found here:

http://linuxappfinder.com/graphics/digitalcameras

http://linuxappfinder.com/graphics/photomanagers
    oz

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Lightbulb Ty

Awesome thats great to hear and thanks for the welcome as well u2.

I did not know that about rechargeables either, good to note.

Didn't know it would just pull up like a usb drive, makes since though, also didn't think about other picture editing software for Linux.

What I am really liking about Linux is how you can so easily think outside the controlled box, meaning theres always a dozen or so ways if you just look for them, vs the 1 controlled way that I worked with for 17 years from windows 3.1, I don't think microsoft has the right to call windows os windows, it should be called boarders, and don't slap me but think about the Analogy, Linux could be 'Windows' Windows of Opportunities that is.

Anyway Thx for the assistance,

~Jason

oz
    forum.guy
    What I found on the rechargeable batteries issue is that most of the battery chargers (and some batteries) commonly purchased are not worth a flip because the batteries don't get conditioned properly. After doing some research, I purchased this charger and a few of their powerex batteries, and my charges started lasting about 20 to 30 times longer. Not sure that everyone would see that kind of increase in battery charge life, but it made that much difference for me. That model of charger and several similar models are available from numerous outlets, so prices will vary.
    oz

I also don't know of any camera that doesn't mount with a USB cable on our actual PCs or notebooks.

But when I once got stuck in the past with older PCs and older OSes, I took out the SD card and put it into a USB SD card adapter. Usually, those SD cards were all VFAT formatted and the USB SD card adapter was easily to mount instead.
    Bus Error: Passengers dumped. Hech gap yo'q.

Just Joined!
    Nice, sounds like I should have no trouble at all then, I have a Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 on the way which I felt comfy getting being the responses. The software is for win/mac, however I have also just pulled up those sites you gave me ozar, Ty. Also interesting to note about the way the batteries are charged as well. Good to be able to work around issues when they arise as well, this Laptop is indeed about 4 or 5 years or so old, Running Ubuntu atm, Can Duel Boot to windows and have a 3rd partition for an unknown Linux if I wanna add it. I try to stay away from Windows all together, although I have found it temporary necessary for gadgets Like Magic Jack, To also use the software to pull my Cell phone Pictures off onto my PC, that however want be a prob soon though W@@T. Also if I messed around and could see if Linux could recognize a port on my PC it is conceivable I could plug my phone right into my PC, by passing Magic Jack altogether, and use Google Voice. Then, well, Perhaps I would Tri Boot between 3 Linux's and say a much awaited permanent Get the Hell Outta here to Win Hell OS's for good, Hoo Ra!

Thanks for the assistance, Would not have felt ok to buy the Camera had I not gotten it, even more so since it comes with Win/Mac (Software) which would of confused the issue even more for me.

~Jason