Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a computer intel 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB When I run ubuntu 10.04 GDM (gnome) crashes after a couple hours. It doesn't happen when running Ubuntu 10.10. My research ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What video driver file is my Ubuntu liveUSB using?

I have a computer intel 2.4 GHz, 1.5 GB

When I run ubuntu 10.04 GDM (gnome) crashes after a couple hours. It doesn't happen when running Ubuntu 10.10.

My research tells me it must have to do with a bug in the video driver for the particular video card I have.

How can I identify the exact video driver file that is loaded by the kernel? Is it a .ko file?

If I take the replace the driver file in Ubuntu 10.04 (2.6.32-28-generic kernel) with the video driver file from Ubuntu 10.10 (2.6.35-22-generic kernel), would that work when running Ubuntu 10.04?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Have you updated your 10.04 system recently? Since you say you are using a liveUSB device to boot/run the system, I have to assume not. If you actually installed it on your computer, then an update may fix the problem for you. As to which driver it is using, what is the video hardware that your computer is using?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I ran a hardware detection tool that told me that the motherboard is intel corp D845GVAD2 chipset: intel 845G/GL/GV and the onboard video is Intel 82845G/GL/[brookdale-G]/GE chipset integrated vga compatible controller

Is this enough information to identify the video driver source which I assume is compiled into the kernel from the C source files in the kernel.org source tree under linuxversion/drivers/video? My idea is to copy newer C source from a newer kernel, and recompile into the kernel of Ubunto 10.04 (2.6.32-28-generic which doesnt seem to have an exact match in www dot kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/

Also I read (at the top of wiki dot ubuntu.org.cn/UbuntuHelp:Kernel/Compile) that you would NOT need to recompile a kernel if you only need to compile a special driver, and would only need to install the linux-headers packages. Would that apply to my video driver?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    What kernel is the 10.10 Ubuntu using? If it is still 2.6.32, then that might work. However, kernel changes after that may not let you use the newer driver with 10.04. As for doing the driver build yourself, there may be updates in the repository. Do a search with the Synaptic package manager for xorg-x11-drv-intel, or something like that. The Intel drivers are in the yum repositories for Red Hat and clones, and RHEL 6.x is using the 2.26.32 kernel as well.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. 10.10 is kernel 2.6.35 whereas 10.04 is kernel 2.6.32. I can't find anything in Synaptic like xorg-x11-drv-intel. What can I do to find if there is an update to that driver?