Find the answer to your Linux question:
I once had a test page printed out but had to re-install. Now trying to setup printer via Menu>System>"Manage Printing". In order to proceed thru the various CUPS windows I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Setting up hp Deskjet 1000 j110 on Slack 13.37

I once had a test page printed out but had to re-install. Now trying to setup printer via Menu>System>"Manage Printing".
    In order to proceed thru the various CUPS windows I used:
    lpd://hostname/queue
    for the connection which gets me to a display of the printer name, no description, no location and no sharing of the printer of make HP. But when I get to the model the list of models does not cover this one.
    lpoptions -m shows:
    drv:///hp/hpijs.drv/hp-deskjet_1000_j110_series-hpijs.ppd HP Deskjet 1000 j110 Series hpijs, 3.11.3a
    drv:///hp/hpcups.drv/hp-deskjet_1000_j110_series.ppd HP Deskjet 1000 j110 Series, hpcups 3.11.3a
    are apparently available but I could not locate them even with
    find / -name "*series.ppd*"
    I scanned:
    http://localhost:631/help/network.html
    for URIs befitting this printer but can find none.
    Can someone get me unstuck from this situation?
    BTW /etc/hp/hplip.conf was configured (automatically)
    I would have used lpadmin but for lack of info there too.

Linux User
    I found that .ppd driver files were supposed to be stored in ~/usr/share/cups or ~usr/share/hplip. This version 3.11.3a of hplip is supposed to cover this printer since 3.10.9. I did find some .ppd.gz files but none with hp-deskjet_1000_J110_series.ppd which is surprising to me.
    I found that the command hp-check -b should check that all files necessary were/weren't installed and setup. After running for half an hour, I gave up and ctrl-C'd it as the log was empty.

Finally solution found: turn on cups via rc.cups and printer. Then all parameters needed are shown for attached device.
    Last edited by clickit; 09-04-2011 at 09:01 AM.