Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've a problem with my Ethernetcard in connection with my Laptop: Adapter: RTL 8139/810X Family PCI FastEth. NIC, 10/100MB PCMCIA My PC: Acer Travelmate 518TX (older machine) I'm running ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ethernet Realtek Prob

Hi, I've a problem with my Ethernetcard in connection with my Laptop:

Adapter: RTL 8139/810X Family PCI FastEth. NIC, 10/100MB PCMCIA
    My PC: Acer Travelmate 518TX (older machine)
    I'm running Ubuntu(debian).

The prob is a hardware prob cause i had the same ago running win2000 or winXP. The card is too fast for the pci or the pcmcia bus i think. The card does not work setting it 100MB/s. Windows: I set it down to 10MB/s, so it only hangs on when I tried to transfer much data. So i used a software bandwidth limiter and set outgoing arround 200KB/s and incoming arround 300KB/s, so it works fine, no hang on.

Now i installed linux/ubuntu: the card is set on 100MB/s, my prob is:
    How can i set down the transfer rate to 10MB and how can I limit the bandwidth down to a few KB ?

Re: Ethernet Realtek Prob

Quote Originally Posted by Christoph
    The prob is a hardware prob cause i had the same ago running win2000 or winXP. The card is too fast for the pci or the pcmcia bus i think.
    This is ludicrious. Whereas the PCI and/or PCMCIA buses are slow, they are not so slow as to not be able to transfer at 100Mbps. There are PCI cards for gigabit ethernet, and they work quite well.

Tell us what the actual problem is so we can attempt to help you figure it out.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

sam
    Just Joined!
    I had a weird problem like this years ago where my Asus PIII mainboard worked with a old Netgear 10mbps card and when I upgraded to a newer Gigabyte PIII mainboard that would take a 850 mhz processor, well my network connection was lost. I put a new Linksys 10/100 mbps card in and wala it worked. The old Netgear card still worked because I swapped out on another older machine. I was told the mainboard PCI bus could not do this but it did.

Just Joined!

Re: Ethernet Realtek Prob

Whereas the PCI and/or PCMCIA buses are slow, they are not so slow as to not be able to transfer at 100Mbps. There are PCI cards for gigabit ethernet, and they work quite well.
    Firsts thanks,
    I believe you and I know that, but it's a very strange problem I have. Something with buffering the data between the card an the bus goes wrong if I transfer with high speed. I know much about Hardware (I study informatik at RWTH). [eg. a 16-bit pcmcia bus interface, has a maximum clock speed of 10MHz and is capable of speeds to 20Mbps (very old machines) ]

My cardbus controller: "O2Micro OZ6832/6833 CardBus Controller"
    You are able to help me if you know
    a) how to set the card down to 10MB/s mode (under linux, eg commands etc.)
    b) how to set up a bandwith limit to the ethernetcard (under linux)