Find the answer to your Linux question:
My laptop (Dell Latitude E6320) has a modular bay and I have a battery module to use with that. I used to have an older version in which the modular ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Designating battery #1

My laptop (Dell Latitude E6320) has a modular bay and I have a battery module to use with that. I used to have an older version in which the modular bay battery was used first by the system, so when it ran out I could remove it and use the modular bay for other modules. My current machine does it the other way, first using the regular battery, so when that runs out I no longer have the option of removing the modular bay battery unless I can plug in. For instance this means that at that point I cannot use the optical drive.

Is there any way to tell the system which battery is #0 and which one is #1?

Thanks for any help!
    -Krampusz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great question! I have a Dell D630 Latitude and have a bay battery (purchased when I had a D600) that is used before the main battery. As you seem to indicate that they have changed this behavior, then I agree it sucks! Contact Dell Support and see what they say. I would be interested to find out what you learn...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Exactly. I had a D630 before. I'll see what I can find out.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Great question! I have a Dell D630 Latitude and have a bay battery (purchased when I had a D600) that is used before the main battery. As you seem to indicate that they have changed this behavior, then I agree it sucks! Contact Dell Support and see what they say. I would be interested to find out what you learn...
    Well, this is what they said:

>> CLKsmb_Gary_230607
    >> Unfortunately, there is no settings nor option for this model that will allow you change the behavior similar to the other system.

I wonder if there is a software option to override the basic behavior. (By the way, I had already looked at the bios setup and there was nothing there to set. The guy at tech support may have just done the same).

tbh, it is probably futile to go on.
    It can very well be a hardware design decision by dell, not changeable by software.
    To prove or disaprove that, s/o with (micro)electronic knowledge would need to look at the board.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irithori View Post
    tbh, it is probably futile to go on.
    It can very well be a hardware design decision by dell, not changeable by software.
    To prove or disaprove that, s/o with (micro)electronic knowledge would need to look at the board.
    I see. I guess I will just live with it. I have no desire to mess with the board. Thanks for the comments anyway.