Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi folks, You are my last best hope. Having been searching for help to no avail so decided to come to the Linux forums as you guys know more than ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help with Ext. HDD EXT3 reformatting

Hi folks,

You are my last best hope. Having been searching for help to no avail so decided to come to the Linux forums as you guys know more than Netgear.

I have an Ext Hard Drive and I managed to reformat it to EXT3 using the GParted Live CD, everything appeared to have worked fine and after 10 minutes it said it was successful.

However the DGND3700 would not recognise the Ext. HDD with this file system but it does recognise it with NTFS. According to the manual EXT3 is a compatible file system and others say it is by far the quickest to use with Netgear's ReadyShare.

I was just wondering is there anything else I need to do to the Ext HDD after using GParted or is that all I need to do, and hence the problem likely being with the modem/router not being fully compatible with EXT3?

I literally loaded GParted, selected the Ext HDD, chose EXT3 format and pressed the tick and it did the work. I did nothing else after that... did I miss a step afterwards?

Thanks for any help.

Hello and Welcome!

What exactly is it that you are trying to do? What is the drive going to be used for?

Never mind... I somehow missed the Ready Share part.
    Last edited by jayd512; 09-26-2011 at 12:36 AM.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

According to the manual EXT3 is a compatible file system and others say it is by far the quickest to use with Netgear's ReadyShare.
    Have you checked Hard disk in any Linux Machine or in GParted LiveCD again? Execute fdisk -l command in Terminal of GParted and check if it display correct partition structure of External HD.

Does DGND3700 support Ext4? There isn't much performance difference in ext3 and NTFS.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Oh wait, no I haven't checked in any Linux machine because I don't have one. Some folks told me EXT3 was a linux file system and the GDND3700 used Samba Linux.

I don't think I told GParted to set the structure as External HDD, I formatted it as a Primary Partition much like I would have an internal hard drive.

Instead of using the GUI, would you say using the Command Prompt is the best way to do this?

Boot into GParted with your external drive attached.
    Find the terminal program, as mentioned by devils casper, and use the command:
    Code:
    mount
    You should see something called /dev/sdb in the output. Further to the right on that line, you'll see the filesystem type.

Instead of using the GUI, would you say using the Command Prompt is the best way to do this?
    The GUI does the same job as the command line, so don't worry about that part

I have a question, though. If you don't use Linux on your computers, why would you need to format with a Linux filesystem?
    That device is fully compatible with Windows or OSX.
    Jay

New Member FAQ
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post

I have a question, though. If you don't use Linux on your computers, why would you need to format with a Linux filesystem?
    That device is fully compatible with Windows or OSX.
    The router has only limited memory and when it reads/writes to NTFS it has to translate between the DNLA. The NTFS file systems reach a maximum of of about 1.5MB/s, but alot of people have reported speeds of about 15MB/s using EXT3. So I was hoping to speed the file transfers.

It wouldn't be a problem if I was the only person because I would have the Ext HDD connected to the laptop via the USB port, but there are 8 people who would like use this feature and we bought the 1TB to use between us and have on-demand access lol.

Well, I can't confirm a speed difference of that magnitude, but I haven't looked for that type of comparison, either.

Also, if you're all using Windows (just an assumption), then you'll want to know that Windows doesn't recognize Linux filesystems. You'll need to install something like explore2fs to do that.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Yes, I was told by others who had done this that the router would handle that issue and part of it's ReadyShare feature is that it can share the file system as a Windows share amongst other OS Shares, such as OSX, Linux etc. But after I got the recommendation to use GParted they all seemed to disappear and not come back to the thread.

Well, if the router will supposedly handle the conversion, then by all means use ext3 or ext4.

But going from your first post:
    However the DGND3700 would not recognise the Ext. HDD with this file system but it does recognise it with NTFS. According to the manual EXT3 is a compatible file system and others say it is by far the quickest to use with Netgear's ReadyShare.
    It maybe that your computer, using NTFS, can't recognize the ext3 filesystem.
    Jay

New Member FAQ

Just Joined!
    Yes, possible I suppose. Before reverting back to Microsoft's botch job of a file system, is their a specific handle to use if you are formatting an Ext HDD in EXT3 as opposed to an internal HDD?

I am on a mission to try and get that file system working!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast