Find the answer to your Linux question:
I want to move my Crux system from /dev/sda1 (4GB) to /dev/sda4 (7.7GB). I know I need to use a live CD to do it, so that both the source ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How to move to a larger partition

I want to move my Crux system from /dev/sda1 (4GB) to /dev/sda4 (7.7GB). I know I need to use a live CD to do it, so that both the source and the destination partitions are unmounted. At the moment I am not sure which tool to use.

The documentation for Partimage says that if you move from a smaller to a larger partition you "lose space". Clonezilla says definitely that an equal or larger partition will do.

If I use either of these tools and then resize2fs, will that give me the 7.7GB filesystem that I want?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    I'd highly recommend using FSArchiver so that you don't have to worry about the difference in partition size. Just be sure to have the partitions the size you want them before you begin. After your done, adjust any configuration files accordingly (and restore your MBR should it be needed), and you should be good to go.

You can find FSArchiver on the Parted Magic LiveCD, and others. I've used it hundreds of times and never once any problems to report.
    oz

Thanks, Ozar. That was just what I needed. I made a System Rescue CD and used FSarchiver to archive Crux onto a pen-drive, then restored it to the new partition. It boots and runs just fine. The main difference is that the partition is only 48% occupied compared with 93% on the old one. A great improvement!
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

oz
    forum.guy
    Glad it worked out for you!

Actually, I misread your task before posting the above and was thinking you were moving to a new drive. However, the utility recommended still works for your purpose, so I didn't edit the original reply. I routinely use FSArchiver for making system archives that can be quickly restored or moved to new drives (partition/drive size differences don't matter) and this has worked out great, every time. Sometimes, I have to restore the MBR but otherwise, no troubles at all with either task.
    oz