Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am looking at installing Fedora 15 on a HP ML110 G7 Server. HP supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 for both AMD64 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing Fedora 15 on HP ML110 G7 Server

Hello,

I am looking at installing Fedora 15 on a HP ML110 G7 Server.

HP supports Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 for both AMD64 and EM64T processors. As Fedora is based(?) on Linux Kernel Version 2.6.38 and as far as I can tell Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 is based on 2.6.3* I assume this is supported.

(Google "656766-S01" for the server specs, as I can not post links due to my status as new member)

My main concern is once I open the box and install the O/S, I am stuck with the hardware and unable to return it, so it is imperative that this O/S (Fedora 15) will work on the hardware (HP ML110 G7) and all drivers avaiilable.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

This HP machine HP ML110 G7 Server is certified for RedHat 6
    https://hardware.redhat.com/show.cgi?id=705710

So rh6 is guaranteed to run on this hardware w/o any issues.
    That means, that rh clones such as CentOS or Scientific Linux will also run.
    There is no reason, why they would not, as both clones are made with the exact same sources and compile options.

Redhat is commercial. You pay a annual subscription, but that gives you (at least) access to the latest patches and also (for a higher price) to commercial support.

CentOS and SL are free of charge. On the flipside, you have to do the support and maintenance yourself.
    Also, the updates and upgrades tend to be slightly behind

Your choice.

Fedora is also free. It is the bleeding edge of RedHat.
    This is where they integrate new features and test them in the wild. Also the community provides a lot of feedback here.

What does that mean for your HP server? It is *most likely* supported by fedora 15/16.
    As in: Worth a shot.
    Is there a guarantee? Nope.

Then there is the point, what is the usecase for that box?
    Are you planning to use it as a base for a business?
    Then my recommendation would be -dependend on your unix skill level or access to the same-
    - RedHat
    or
    - CentOS/SL

It is tempting to use fedora, because it has the newer and shinier features/application versions.
    It is also *possible* to run a business on it.

But as a serverplatform, where "stable", "supported", "good documentation", "support by (commercial) 3rd party software" and "professional hardware support (e.g. tapelibraries, HBAs, etc)" have some weight, my choice would not be fedora.

Additonal Note:
    Evaluate, if an ILO advanced license is useful for you.
    e.g. Virtual Media is *not* in the standard license.
    HP Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) for HP ProLiant
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Hi Irithori,

Many thanks for your input. I understand and agree with what you have said. I think the best way to proceed would be to run with Fedora 15/16 and see how that works out. Worse case senario would be to start again and with RHEL or Cent/OS.

Chris