Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently purchased a flash drive with ubuntu 11.04 on it from ebay. When i received it i was very excited to use it i went to my brothers house ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

live usb flash drive

I recently purchased a flash drive with ubuntu 11.04 on it from ebay. When i received it i was very excited to use it i went to my brothers house and booted it from his laptop no problems. It was a toshiba satellite i dont remember which model it was running windows vista and i think it had about 2gbs of ram. So i go to school the next day and try to boot it from a desktop there it ran exactly as it did asking me weather i wanna install or run live i picked run live on the it did the same thing as it did on the satellite except when the ubuntu loading screen came up instead of going to the desktop GNOME/unity it went to a text based shell and said something about it not being able to mount /root or something i didnt write it down because i didnt have time. but it does that on every computer now. Now know i could just wipe the flash drive in put ubuntu on their myself but i would really rather learn more in depth with linux so i figured this would be a good opportunity so any help is appreciated.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    When you removed the flash drive from the laptop, did you first shut down the system using the Ubuntu shutdown command or UI button?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

i used the ui button in the top right corner

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by champ_weller View Post
    i used the ui button in the top right corner
    So, you selected "shutdown" and then waited until the laptop was fully shut down (no led lights on) before you unplugged the drive? If so, does it still work on the laptop?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

yes i am pretty sure all the led lights were off but i could be wrong it was a few days ago so i could be wrong. but i dont know if it still works on that laptop its at my brothers house if i go by there today i will check.

If me. I would boot up my Linux Box, (not the pendrive), and insert pendrive when done booting. Then open Gparted and look for the pendrive which should be about /dev/sdb or something else like /dev/sdc depending on how many drives are on your box.

I would check first if partition shows like if it is full of writes from being unmounted improperly.

Then I would make sure it was unmounted in gparted with right click on mouse. Then I would right click on usb partition again and pick check from the menu. Let it run the file system check.

Then shutdown my linux box with pendrive still inserted till I know everything is powered off.

Then see if my linux usb drive will boot up again with no errors.

Any ways. That is what I would do.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

ok ill try that rokytnji later but i am going out to lunch so ill post results later thank you very much

In response to your PM.

http://www.giannistsakiris.com/wp-co...ze-for-sdb.jpg

See the yellow, Full of writes means it shows all yellow. I try to keep advice in the threads instead of PM's. Just do the check any ways (it is a must to have usb drive unmounted before using the check option in gparteds right click menu). If mounted. You will damage the files permanent on usb using the check option.

http://www.bleepstatic.com/tutorials...arted-menu.png

if unmount is greyed out like in image I just posted. You are good to go with using check which is shown in picture also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I understand about keeping info in the thread thats a good thing so everyone can use it i just didnt wanna double post. I think i am just going to have to format it and start over from ubuntu's website. Because i did the check and i tried to boot if off my dell inspiron 600m and it said boot error. Thanks for the help though.