Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. Back in the summer, I mail-ordered a respected-branded 16GB memory stick which from new had a fault that caused it to de-register & register at random, even if not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Three new USB stiks kept on de-registering

Hello.

Back in the summer, I mail-ordered a respected-branded 16GB memory stick which from new had a fault that caused it to de-register & register at random, even if not mounted.
    So I sent it back for a replacement.
    The replacement did the the same but increasingly less frequently, and has not now done so for a long time. I didn't send it back because I didn't want to risk having the supplier think that I was being fraudulent (having read about a bloke who was arrested for sending back a pizza that was delivered cold).

Then a few months later (recently) I bought a different well-respected brand 4GB memory stick in a local store and it too did the same thing - incessantly AND ALSO caused my machine to re-boot - twice. When I took that back, the manager tried it on his Windows machine for a while and it was fine; - - Very - - embarrassing. He would not replace it but refunded me, saying that it was my machine that was "out of date".

Besides all of those I have for a long time had two other memory sticks which have worked faultlessly all along on my machine - so I know that the machine is OK!
    I run Knoppix mostly [or else Ubuntu] which is why it is easy for me to see the sticks register & de-register.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum,
    but has anyone experienced this problem or heard about it?

Can you explain in detail what you mean by "register & de-register"?
    Never listen the talking heads at the local computer shop, if your machine so much as coughs, spits or hiccups, they always want you to buy a new machine. I think if your Internet stopped working they would still try to sell you a new machine.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    What are these mysterious brands of USB sticks, if I may ask?

What kernel version was seeing the issue? Anything reported in dmesg or /var/log/messages?

What is your PC hardware?

Just Joined!
    Hello.

When a stick is plugged in, the kernel then makes an entry in /proc/partitions after a few seconds or so; the stick is now registered.
    Then when the stick is pulled out, the kernel removes that information from /proc/partitions after a short delay and so the stick is no longer registered.
    In Knoppix [ 5.1 in my case, kernel 22.6.19 ] this is followed by the appearance of an icon on the Desktop.

For fear of litigation, I am very hesitant to mention the brands.
    I did not think to look in either dmesg or /var/log/messages.
    The hardware dates from spring 2002. AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2000+. Motherboard is ASUS A7V333.

As asked previously, which kernel version are you using?
    I do know that USB drives do not last a real long time. You only get so many read writes and then it starts failing. Have you tried fsck? Or even Windows disk check tool.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Trusted Penguin
    Knoppix 5.x is old, too (which means the kernel is old). If you are still having this trouble, why not try the latest release of Knoppix?

Just Joined!
    Hi.

MikeTbob:
    As asked previously, which kernel version are you using?
    Kevv:
    Knoppix [ 5.1 in my case, kernel 22.6.19 ]
    I do use Ubuntu, 2.6.32-24, but only for going on the Internet.

atreyu:
    Knoppix 5.x is old, too (which means the kernel is old)
    I agree. But I like KDE 3 and I don't like KDE 4, plus it has a buggy reputation.
    Anyway, the most recent 'bad' stick was replaced with a 3rd respected-brand stick (which cost ~15% more) and that has worked faultlessly with my Knoppix.

MikeTbob:
    Have you tried fsck? Or even Windows disk check tool.
    No; the first purchase & its replacement were zeroed out several times during the course of my then investigations, so faulty filesystems were not on my mind; the replacement has now continued to work ok for well over a month now.
    The second [recent] purchase, when it wasn't rebooting the computer, wouldn't stay registered long enough to do anything with. {I took it back the next day}.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The nice thing about standards, is that there are so many! A lot of USB controllers support the standard in subtly different ways, but not so different as to be in strict violation of the published standards. It may be that your computer hardware is enough out of "alignment" (to choose a descriptive word) with the first two manufacturer's USB drives that this caused the system to randomly see and then lose sight of the attached device. Stick with the new device since it seems to be most compatible with your system hardware.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!