Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am new to Linux and just switched over from Vista which was sucking the life out of my computer. Anyway I've been having problems getting my sound to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio - Sound works but is choppy.

Hello, I am new to Linux and just switched over from Vista which was sucking the life out of my computer. Anyway I've been having problems getting my sound to work correctly, it runs but is choppy and skips every few seconds when playing music. I've read of alot of other people having problems with this soundcard but was wondering if anyone had found a way to fix it.
    It is a Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio CA110 IBG and I am using Ubuntu. I don't really know my way around Linux yet so any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Just Joined!
    Not sure if it will help but I was having trouble with a machine that sounded pretty choppy and poor. It was using VLC as its player and did not seem to like using Pulse Audio so I went into VLC preferences and set it to use the ALSA sound system as its default and that fixed it. You may want to check your music players preferences too and see if the sound setting can be changed then just give it a go and see what happens.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nixblog View Post
    Not sure if it will help but I was having trouble with a machine that sounded pretty choppy and poor. It was using VLC as its player and did not seem to like using Pulse Audio so I went into VLC preferences and set it to use the ALSA sound system as its default and that fixed it. You may want to check your music players preferences too and see if the sound setting can be changed then just give it a go and see what happens.
    I've already been using the ALSA mixer to play audio i tried to tweak everything but it's still has choppy sound and video, thank you for the quick reply/thought though.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close