Find the answer to your Linux question:
What I ask myself is weakly present. Interested in whether it is possible to have a android device (for example for SoC Nvidia Tegra 3 (a forthcoming) or the Samsung ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Question Android & Ethernet / USB 3.0 / eSATA. Is it possible?

What I ask myself is weakly present.
    Interested in whether it is possible to have a android device (for example for SoC Nvidia Tegra 3 (a forthcoming) or the Samsung Exynos 4210) which will operate the hardware decoding, gigabit ethernet, USB 3.0 (or at least 2.0), eSATA and output image and sound HDMI, and if you play in a certain application on the device will contain the content source encoded in DTS, DTS-HD, DD, DD TrueHD sound, in the same encrypted transfer it to a device on the other side of HDMI cable (passthrough)?

Device about which I'm not there, it is conditional, in fact the question is whether it is possible to create such a device. While on the Internet seen such devices. Among them, of course, none of them had all of the above, but there was some support for Ethernet, USB, HDMI, but how it works there I do not know.

There are currently about USB and Ethernet I imagine this case was this: on-board controllers are soldered above-mentioned interfaces, after which the linux drivers for these controllers is compiling android .. right?

P.S. sorry for my and google translate english =)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Don't know about android, but given its kernel version, USB 2.0, gigabit ethernet, eSata, and HDMI should not be a problem. In fact, a number of Android devices already have HDMI connectivity. As for USB 3.0, I am not sure about that, but possibly. You can get the Android source code, and then run the menuconfig or xconfig options on the kernel Makefile to see what drivers are available to build directly into the kernel (or as modules, if you prefer). Also, visit Android and see what you can find.

And here are instructions how to download the kernel sources: http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thank you for answer. I already find tegra dev kit with USB 2.0, Ethernet, HDMI on board, but besides these interfaces also need optical audio. Would it be possible to add it?
    And most importantly, it is capable of output audio encoded as I wrote in the first message?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by LastDanmer View Post
    Thank you for answer. I already find tegra dev kit with USB 2.0, Ethernet, HDMI on board, but besides these interfaces also need optical audio. Would it be possible to add it?
    And most importantly, it is capable of output audio encoded as I wrote in the first message?
    Honestly, I don't know, but I would suspect so. It depends upon the board and what options are available for it. I don't think it's such a problem for the OS, but as I said, that's something I haven't had to delve into as yet, so I am "talking out of my hat", so to speak.

That is, i can order custom board with optics on it and use the linux drivers?

You will probably have to modify the appropriate driver(s) to use the correct hardware interfaces, unless the board designer/builder has already had experience building them for Linux systems. That's really a question for the hardware people. I know that I get a lot of my hardware from Technologic Systems (Technologic Systems PC/104 Single Board Computers and Peripherals), and the Debian distribution(s) they provide for their boards have all of the appropriate drivers for their add-on or custom hardware.