Find the answer to your Linux question:
Random facts of this problem: o Ubuntu 11.10, HPLIP, CUPS o Linux Novice, MS Pro o Some printers - HP 710 - are recognized and URI added - jobs are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No printers will work on Linux/Ubuntu 11.10

Random facts of this problem:

o Ubuntu 11.10, HPLIP, CUPS
    o Linux Novice, MS Pro
    o Some printers - HP 710 - are recognized and URI added - jobs are all dropped without printing
    o HP 870cCse not recognized and URI asked for - what is a URI and where do I get one?
    o Epson Stylus Color 400 recognized, URI added, jobs are submitted, but pages blank.

It's been two weeks and I am getting a little sick of this...please help.

Question: Is Linux known to have a stable print platform ?

Just in case: How do you blow away Linux for a new MS Install ?
    Last edited by chrislongski; 01-10-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: append

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

HP and Epson are well supported on Linux. The first thing I would suggest is to delete all configured printers and start again from scratch. Make sure that you select the correct printer driver during configuration because sometimes the ones automatically selected by the system may not be quite right. The URI is where the printer is connected e.g. url, port etc. Have you tried configuring these printers on any other Linux distros which is not Ubuntu?

Just Joined!
    HP and Epson are well supported on Linux. The first thing I would suggest is to delete all configured printers and start again from scratch.

i did that about 88 years ago and the problems persist.

Make sure that you select the correct printer driver during configuration because sometimes the ones automatically selected by the system may not be quite right.

Did it - but the printer I want to use - the HP 870Cse - has no driver that appears. It wants a URI, whatever that is..

The URI is where the printer is connected e.g. url, port etc. Have you tried configuring these printers on any other Linux distros which is not Ubuntu?

You're talking to an IT pro from a total MS, VAX/VMS environment - I have no idea what that means. I understand URL's and ports and busses etc., but I have no idea how to go about this.

Thank-you for replying to a frustrated, PO'd guy who is trying to help an elderly neighbor...
    Last edited by chrislongski; 01-10-2012 at 05:04 PM. Reason: amend

Just Joined!
    You know what really gets me? ALL FOUR of the printers I have been trying to install on this Linux machine installed and ran WITHOUT A HITCH on my old XP Pro machine. Sad...

Just Joined!

Any other ideas?

Is there somewhere that lists the URIs for HP printers that anyone knows of?

Do I need the USB address; if so, how can I find it ?

Thx...