Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Hi All, I am looking to upgrading my current PC running and old AMD CPU. Basically I am looking at replacing the CPU, motherboard and memory, with the possibility of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Upgrade recommendations wanted for video editing and basic use desktop

Hi All,

I am looking to upgrading my current PC running and old AMD CPU.

Basically I am looking at replacing the CPU, motherboard and memory, with the possibility of including a SSD for the OS (Linux Mint probably).

Mostly I will using the pc for daily browsing, emailing etc and for transcoding HD video into DVD size films.

I have obviously been looking into the Sandy Bridge vs Bulldozer debate and looking at the open benchmarking site for comparisons. It does look like the AMD FX 8150 CPU wins the transcoding battle using ffmpeg but loses the war in general against the Sandy Bridge.

What I am having difficulty in finding is what the near future holds with regards to Intel Activesync (which has good results in Windows) becoming Linux compatible, what Ivy Bridge will bring and the plans of AMD after the FX 8150.

So, in a nutshell:
    What are the CPU and motherboard recommendations for Linux when it comes to daily use and video transcoding? Budget around 300 for each component.

Bearing in mind I am interested in a machine that will last some time with possibly only a CPU upgrade in 2 or 3 years time.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Great questions! I have a 4 year old system with Intel workstation/server motherboard and dual E5450 3GHz Penryn processors. These were bleeding edge when I built the system, but the new memory/bus architecture of the Sandy Bridge and similar blows mine away. That said, I do a LOT of video transcoding with ffmpeg, and with 8 cores and 8GB of RAM it can still generate DVD-compatible mpeg2 files from just about anything PDQ. Of course, transcoding a 1080p HD video (reducing resolution to 720x480), will only convert at 30-80fps, but that's with just one thread. At least ffmpeg supports threads, and you can speed it up considerably by adding threads. With my system's memory bus bottleneck, I pretty much max out at 3-4 threads, but it will speed up the transcoding by a similar factor. IE, a 1 hour HD video will turn into a high-def dvd video in 15-20 minutes with 4 threads.

So, I guess I am saying that either architecture should do you well. My only piece of advice here is get the best quality board you can afford. I like Intel boards personally, but that's just me appreciating the quality of their engineering and attention to detail.
    velikij likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    30 - 80 fps? I'm happy if I get 25 fps, then I am realtime

Do you know whether quick sync from Intel will be supported soon in Linux, because if it will be the decision is easy?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olster View Post
    30 - 80 fps? I'm happy if I get 25 fps, then I am realtime

Do you know whether quick sync from Intel will be supported soon in Linux, because if it will be the decision is easy?
    Sorry, but my "dumb hat" is on. What is "quick sync"?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Sorry, but my "dumb hat" is on. What is "quick sync"?
    Quick sync is a built in feature of Sandy Bridge CPU's that massively speeds up the transcoding of video files.....under Windows.

Anandtech has a good article about it, unfortunately I can't post links here though.

If Linux could tap into Quick Sync then the decision as to which CPU to use would be easy

Quick sync is a built in feature of Sandy Bridge CPU's that massively speeds up the transcoding of video files.....under Windows.

Anandtech has a good article about it, unfortunately I can't post links here though.

If Linux could tap into Quick Sync then the decision as to which CPU to use would be easy
    Ah! Tnx. Well, if it is built into the hardware, I have to think than some Linux boffin will enable it in Linux PDQ. Remember, we are dealing with Internet time here...

Also, Intel does a lot to support Linux, and there are a LOT of video professionals who use Linux, so this may not be such a far-fetched idea.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, the reverse side of that tends to tell me that it probably would have been done already if it was easy.

Either way, it till doesn't help me in buying a motherboard and CPU today

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, the reverse side of that tends to tell me that it probably would have been done already if it was easy.

Either way, it till doesn't help me in buying a motherboard and CPU today
    Well, I'm still looking and it doesn't seem as if Quick sync has been implemented in linux yet. Looking at the price of AMD cpu's the FX-8150 is looking very interesting now.

Well, current Intel gear still beats AMD for performance. Price-performance? AMD. Raw performance? Intel.

Interesting info I found while researching Quick Sync.
    From all accounts and info I read you can probably discount seeing Quick Sync on Linux systems.
    It uses Windows APIs and DirectX features to get it's speed.

The articles I read mentioned that Intel was looking into a port for Linux however it may not be possible to do as they would need
    to rewrite the stack, xwindows and probably the kernel.

As for what to use?
    Depends on your budget.
    I'm an AMD fan and for a low budget I would go with the AMD system.
    But when you look at the latest stats between AMD and Intel, Intel seems to win hands down albeit that all tests are done on a Windows system.
    I think these benchmarks may be closer on a Linux based system as the OS isn't a resource hog like a Windows system.

I re-encode 720p and 1080p mkv's on an AMD Regor dual core with only 2 gigs of ram.
    Not as fast as Rubberman's times but much faster then when I was using Windows on this same machine as a test.
    I think either way you go will give you the results you are looking for.

One of thing that will help your speeds is a good video card with a high quality encoder. You can use the GPU in a Nvidia based card to help with the encoding using Cuda so I am told.
    Now it all depends on how deep your pockets are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast