Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there a Current Linux Distro that can run a parallel matrix printer on a modern computer (one without a parallel port)? I have an old Panasonic kpx 2123, a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Parallel printer distro

Is there a Current Linux Distro that can run a parallel matrix printer on a modern computer (one without a parallel port)?

I have an old Panasonic kpx 2123, a PCI Express parallel card and a usb to parallel cable.

This setup prints perfectly on w7.

Non of These Distros work

Linux Mint 12
    Pclos 2011
    Ubuntu 10

The only one that works perfectly (on the pcie card) is ubuntu 9.04.

Anyone using a current distro with a parallel Printer, if so which is it!

My experience is not very extensive with printers. I just installed CUPS, went into admin, searched the Internet for "Linux 'my printer'" and found the setting someone else was using. Are you using CUPS?

It works fine for everything but .pdf. My understanding is that xpdf must be compiled with printer support.
    "Wisdom is justified of all her children"

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Arrrgh! I haven't dusted off any of my parallel printers in YEARS! I've been running either network or USB printers for at least 10 years. There are times when an impact printer would be nice, but I have been pretty happy with my HP and Epson printers. Right now I am running an Epson 1400 large format printer. It is fast, efficient, and quiet.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

In the case of the parallel port card and the USB converter, you need to plug the device(s) in identify the chipsets and verify that kernel modules are actually being loaded.

Code:
    lsusb
    lspci

Just Joined!
    I have tried lots of solutions over the last few months. Nothing worked. Jobs just go to printer queue and stay there because fifo is stuck. This problem is very common. No fix.

Just Joined!

parallel printer

Quote Originally Posted by ploppy View Post
    Is there a Current Linux Distro that can run a parallel matrix printer on a modern computer (one without a parallel port)?

I have an old Panasonic kpx 2123, a PCI Express parallel card and a usb to parallel cable.

This setup prints perfectly on w7.
    I don't understand. These are two different ways of connecting your parallel printer, namely the PCI Express card and the USB cable. Which one are you really using?

Just Joined!
    I have tried both, neither work!

Most likely linux hasn't detected properly your card and usb adapter, thats why your where asked to issue the lspci and lsusb commands to see the chipsets and see if there even exist some drivers for linux.

Have you checked with the manufacturer of the cards and/or usb cable for some info on linux drivers?

If you use a network, there is another solution by getting a print server, they are small boxes that are connected by the network and have 1 or more printer ports, there are several still using parallel ports. Or if you have an old pc with a parallel port you can turn it in to a print server and add some other functions now that you have it.

Good luck

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have an HP and an Epson print server for connecting parallel printers to the network, stored in a box in the basement somewhere... They worked quite well when I was using them. I haven't needed them since I retired my old HP all-in-one printer/scanner/fax a few years ago. My current fax is USB connected, as is my scanner and my printer.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!