Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, It's my first post here, and so I just want to say thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide, and I look forward ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Best Distro for Custom Hardware?

Hey guys,
    It's my first post here, and so I just want to say thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide, and I look forward to trying to be helpful elsewhere someday!

Basically, my question is simple: what's the best distro (or distro to be finagled) to work with my custom hardware? I built the PC myself about a month ago, and I love it, but I'm hoping to start transitioning away from winblows for day to day use. Here's the hardware:

Computer:
    • Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    • Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k at 4.2GHz
    • RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 2133
    • Video Card: (2x) XFX ATI Radeon HD6950 2GB in Crossfire
    • Hard Drive #1: Crucial 64GB SATA3 SSD
    • Hard Drive #2: OCZ Vertex2 60GB SATA3 SSD
    • Hard Drive #3: 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green SATA2 HDD
    • DVD-ROM: ASUS DRW-24B1ST
    Peripherals:
    • Monitor: (3x) Acer G235h 23" Widescreen Monitor
    • Keyboard: Saitek Eclipse II Wired USB Keyboard
    • Mouse: Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
    • Networking: Either NetGear WNDA3100v2 or Linksys WUSB54GCv3
    • Other inputs: 3DConnexion SpacePilot Pro 3D Mouse

It's an awesome machine to use, and I love it, but I don't love Ubuntu's compatibility issues with some of my hardware (not wanting to do multi-monitor, etc) and I always love something new to play with, so a new Distro is not a problem at all. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Steve

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Most linux distributions will work well with this gear. Try some live cd/dvd/usb images and find one that works best for you.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I agree with Rubberman, try multiple distros and find the one you like very much. You can pretty much set up the dual monitors on any distro. The gaming mice and controllers, likewise. It might take some searching or trial and error to get your rig fully working to your satisfaction but I don't really see anything above that needs a "custom distro". Usually Wireless and Video is the hardest part to configure. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.