Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. Recently i've changed my old CRT monitor to Acer AL1914 (19", 1280x1204) and i've got some weird stuff going... first of all, when session starts the screen flickers a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Angry Problem with display using LCD + fglrx

Hi. Recently i've changed my old CRT monitor to Acer AL1914 (19", 1280x1204) and i've got some weird stuff going... first of all, when session starts the screen flickers a few times, which never happened on CRT, but that's ok. Secondly, i've noticed another nasty thing while playing movies - sometimes somewhere in the middle of the screen some weird disturbance kicks in. I wish i could make a screenshot of that, but it's too rapid... it looks like some distortion or flick consisting of a few lines deforming the frames in a certain area... actually that thing happened even on CRT, i checked out later.. it's less noticeable there due to lower screen resolution (800x600). Also it depends on the motion of the played video. It doesn't always appear, only at certain point. I've used ATI Catalyst 10.9 and backported 11.4 - no difference. I've used openSUSE 11.4 with ATI 11.12 - same thing. Also i've done something else: in ATI Control Center if enable Tear Free option that thing seems to dissappear.. but the motion gets slower, so apparently not a solution. By the way, i've tried free native radeon linux driver, it seemed to be slightly better, BUT.... it doesn't provide higher resolutions. And yes, i've tried to add one extra mode to it manually like shown on some forums. It worked. But not the proper way - screen looked broken and unclear. And i don't wanna mess with it anymore.

And one more weird thing: as i switched to LCD monitor i keep getting that big number "1" in red square everytime i enter fullscreen mode. Not video though, other things. Like DOSBox, Wine etc. That's the number from ATI Control Center in Display Manager section. But why the hell does it appear when i enter fullscreen mode and why it never happened on CRT?.. I can fix this only by removing the Control Center. But how to actually go past this without troubles?..

Using Debian 6 Squeeze, ATI HD4200 (onboard), ATI Catalyst/fglrx 11.4
    Last edited by Damiano; 01-24-2012 at 02:48 AM.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    1) What distribution+version of Linux are you running.
    2) What is your video hardware and what is the version of the driver are you running.

FWIW, I used to get (about 4 years ago) black/red pixel flashes when playing videos on my CentOS 5.x / nVidia system that were due to a bug in the nVidia driver. After some back-and-forth with their engineering people, it was fixed, and has not regressed in over 3 years. Now, if I could only fix the audio static introduced with the last couple of kernels for RHEL 6.x...

OK. I see now (after reading completely your post) that you are using an AMD/ATI board. Sorry about that!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There are several drivers for AMD/ATI boards, open and closed source. What specific driver are you using?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close