Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I am new to linux and trying to use Imaging Source CMOS USB camera on my laptop. The problem is it does not have any drivers for linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

UVCVIDEO patch for Imaging Source CMOS camera

Hello all,
    I am new to linux and trying to use Imaging Source CMOS USB camera on my laptop. The problem is it does not have any drivers for linux and upon some google search, this website provides a patch for uvcvideo to make this camera work(unicap-imaging.org/tis_devices_en .htm) Its a CMOS camera
    So, I followed all the steps, but when I use the patch it says 7 out of 7 HUNKS failed.
    Does anyone know why this is happening?

(Steps:
    Cloned git media_build repository as shown on the page.
    Downloaded patch
    $ patch < /home/myusername/Downloads/uvcvideo_add_tis_cmos.patch

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have sent a message to Imaging Source for more information, leveraging my business connections. Perhaps I'll be able to get some satisfaction for you, but no guarantees. Hopefully I will hear from them in a day or two.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Ok. The Imaging Source has been very cooperative in providing information about this. This is what I have found out from Scott Bradley, one of their support engineers.

1. They are working with the Linux kernel developers and the developers of the uvcvideo drivers to make these devices work "out-of-the-box".
    2. This is a work in progress, but when done, all USB video cameras such as theirs will work without problems.

I am currently waiting on an ETA for this capability, but my feeling is that if you are patient, you will have what you need in a few months (we hope!). Anyway, any further updates from Scott will be passed along to this thread.

-Rubberman

Just Joined!
    Thanks Rubberman.
    I was successful in patching the driver, but the camera still didn't show up when I typed in ls /dev/video*. So I guess I will probably have to use some other camera since I am short on time.
    But yea, that's good to know that they are starting to roll out support for linux as well.
    Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated!

I got another email from them about this stuff. Here is a copy for your information.

I was forwarded your request regarding the Linux support of our cameras.

Our USB CCD cameras are UVC compliant but they do not advertise in the USB descriptors as such. Thus
    the uvcvideo driver needs to be patched to detect the cameras. The patch is submitted to the
    maintainers and will be included in a future version of the mainline kernel. In the meantime, you
    can get the patch and instructions on how to apply it here:
    unicap - The uniform API for image acquisition devices

The USB CMOS cameras are currently not UVC compliant and are only supported by a userspace driver
    that is included with unicap. But there is currently an UVC compliant firmware version in the works
    that will be available as an update for existing cameras by the end of February. With this
    modification, the cameras will be detected by an unpatched uvcvideo driver. Keep in mind however
    that the cameras only provide a RAW image so software support for color interpolation is required.

Please let me know if there are any further questions.

Best regards,

Arne Caspari

The Imaging Source Europe GmbH
    The unicap stuff is here: unicap - The uniform API for image acquisition devices

Since I don't have one of these doohickeys, I don't know if this will help, but I do have to say that their people responded quickly, and with what seems to be relevant information. Let us know if this helps you sort it out.

Just Joined!
    Did you ask him about UVC firmware for CMOS cameras?

UPD:I have found firmware docs here: _unicap-imaging.org/fwupdate.htm (originally from _unicap-imaging.org/blog/index.php?/archives/7-Installing-USB-Cameras.html)
    Last edited by nikkadim; 03-13-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkadim View Post
    Did you ask him about UVC firmware for CMOS cameras?

UPD:I have found firmware docs here: _unicap-imaging.org/fwupdate.htm (originally from _unicap-imaging.org/blog/index.php?/archives/7-Installing-USB-Cameras.html)
    I only know what they told me from my posting below. I haven't heard anything more from them.

Just Joined!
    Well it is now August 2013, and I am having the same problems trying to get the cameras to install. Bummer.
    John

Just Joined!
    Happy owner for two years of DMK41 AU02.AS camera, it is only now that I managed to get my first image in linux, thanks to the Imaging Source forum.
    I cannot post url, so I'll post the excerpt of the messages:

This command tells the uvc driver that it is responsible for the camera

echo "199e 8101" | sudo tee /sys/bus/usb/drivers/uvcvideo/new_id

If the number "8101" does not work, you can run dmesg to determine the correct idProduct.
    and :
    Indeed. I am not in a position to test with all the different models, but this solution is looking promising.

I'm not at all convinced this is the most efficient way to do things, but on my Mint 15 (based on Ubuntu) installation I now have a file /etc/udev/rules.d/70-tis-cameras.rules which reads:

Code:

# Udev rules for TIS CCD cameras
    #

ACTION!="add", GOTO="tis_end"
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ENV{DEVTYPE}=="usb_device", GOTO="tis_test"
    SUBSYSTEM!="usb_device", GOTO="tis_end"

LABEL="tis_test"

ATTRS{idVendor}=="199e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="8101", RUN+="/usr/local/bin/config-tis-camera.sh"

LABEL="tis_end"

and a script /usr/local/bin/config-tis-camera.sh:

Code:

#!/bin/bash
    #
    # Load and appropriately configure UVC video driver for the USB TIS CCD
    # cameras

USB_ID="199e 8101"
    /sbin/modprobe uvcvideo && echo $USB_ID > /sys/bus/usb/drivers/uvcvideo/new_id

This appears to get the camera recognised by the UVC driver when it is plugged in. I believe that any V4L2-compliant application (that can handle debayering the raw image data from the camera) should then work with the colour cameras. I can't test the mono models as I don't have one, but I think this should work for all of the USB DMK, DFK, DBK 21, 31 and 41 CCD astronomy cameras and perhaps some of the others as well. If I can find someone selling a used USB mono camera that might be useful to me at a reasonable price (probably the DMK21.618 or DMK41 as I'm unlikely to use the others) then I'll give it a try, but they don't seem to come up that often.

Having reached this point I also found a couple of German web pages suggesting the same solution is valid for some microscope cameras, but I have no first hand information about those.

I'd suggest that it would be very helpful if this information were made available somewhere on the main TIS website?
    It worked for me !
    May be helpful for you ?