Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently built a new machine using and Asus M5S78L/USB3 and installed the latest BIOS (0802) and Ubuntu Oneiric (64 bit) with all updates. All works really well except the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

M5A78L/USB3 USB3 not working

I recently built a new machine using and Asus M5S78L/USB3 and installed the latest BIOS (0802) and Ubuntu Oneiric (64 bit) with all updates. All works really well except the USB3 ports which will not recognise anything although the controller is enabled in the BIOS. I suspected I need device driver xhci_hcd but that did not seem to be installed by default so I modified /etc/modules to load it at boot but still no joy. Looking at hardware4linux.info seems to indicate that this module only has support for a limited range of hardware and this board seems to be an Asmedia 104x controller if the Windows driver software is to be believed. Using Wine I have extracted asmthub3 and asmtxhci .inf and .sys files from the windows driver disk for the motherboard. So do I need to use ndiswrapper to load these, and if so how, or is there something else I should attempt to get the USB3 controller working?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, Ubuntu 11.10 is the "bleeding edge" for Ubuntu. I looked on the web site and searched for USB 3 and USB 3.0 and found nothing. I know that Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative) does support USB 3.0, so you might want to try that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Well, Ubuntu 11.10 is the "bleeding edge" for Ubuntu. I looked on the web site and searched for USB 3 and USB 3.0 and found nothing. I know that Linux Mint (an Ubuntu derivative) does support USB 3.0, so you might want to try that.
    Thanks Rubberman. I did give Mint12 a try running from the CD but same problem. However, might just pursue that a little further. At the back of my mind though I have the feeling that if it does so using xhci_hcd then it may well not support Asmedia drivers.