Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a seagate 160gb sata drive I wanna use with mint. I couldn't find any info on how to go about using it. I formatted the drive and partitioned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using sata hdd with a usb sata/ide adapter

I have a seagate 160gb sata drive I wanna use with mint. I couldn't find any info on how to go about using it. I formatted the drive and partitioned it when I was using it on windows xp. There's nothing on the drive so I could change it to what ever format needed. Trying to figure out how to get linux to recognize the drive when I plug it in.

When you formatted it under windows what format did you use? NTFS? FAT32? Or something else?

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazydog View Post
    When you formatted it under windows what format did you use? NTFS? FAT32? Or something else?
    I believe its fat32. I just need to get it to show up. I'll reformat it if I can see it. Windows you go to disk management and give it a drive letter and format it to whatever you want. Is there something like that with linux?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In Linux you need to know what drive it is so that you can format it. You would first have to partition it and then format it.
    To format you would use:
    Code:
    mkfs -t ext3 /dev/sdb1
    Provided that the disk was sdb and partition 1 is what you wanted to format.

Regards
    Robert

Linux
    The adventure of a life time.

Linux User #296285
    Get Counted