Find the answer to your Linux question:
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By oz
  • 1 Post By sgosnell
For various reasons, some of which you can view in this thread by cousinlucky, I've grown disenchanted with HP printers. I've had several over the years and until recently, was ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Please recommend a good (non HP) printer

For various reasons, some of which you can view in this thread by cousinlucky, I've grown disenchanted with HP printers. I've had several over the years and until recently, was always satisfied with their performance. I guess I kept allegiance to HP for so long because of their devotion to supporting Linux.

I'm now looking for a new printer from a different manufacturer. Can any of you share good experiences you've had and make recommendations for other printers that play well with Linux? I would appreciate your input.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 02-14-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

oz
    forum.guy
    I've had great luck mixing Linux with various Brother HL Series laser printers and have been using their printers for about 12 years now. Around 8 of those years have been using them under Linux, and I've had no problems to report whatsoever. It may be that not all of them will work well under Linux, but most do. Brother maintains a listing of Linux printer drivers on their website, but you can usually find them buried somewhere on the disk that comes with their new printers, as well.

There is absolutely no way that I'd ever go back to dot matrix printing!
    Last edited by oz; 02-14-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: clarify
    oz

Though I don't print as much as you guys do due to the nature of my job description. I have a Epson Workforce 30 That is supported by

Printer: Epson WorkForce 30 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

It was a freebie though given to me by my younger Sister (New in the box though). It functions for the limited printing I need done pretty well and is a cheapo lower end model.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

oz
    forum.guy
    One thing that irritates me each time I buy a new laser printer is that each new printer seams cheaper built and more flimsy than the one purchased before it. The plastic on them keeps getting thinner and thinner, and you are left feeling like you aren't getting much printer for your money. I'm afraid to open and close the little folding compartment doors on my latest printers for fear that they might snap off.
    Dapper Dan likes this.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    A good Postscript laser printer from most anyone that has network connectivity will work well with Linux. It's the ones that require special printing languages that cause problems because of a lack of CUPS drivers for them. Just my opinion. Reality may differ!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Brother printers are well supported in Linux, and I've also found that they're about the only reliable printer in Android. My next printer will almost certainly be a Brother.
    Dapper Dan likes this.

I went with the Brother recommendation and bought an HL-2280DW black and white printer-scanner from the nearby OfficeMax. After thinking about it, I just didn't see a need for a color printer in my situation. This thing was a cinch to set up on my network wirelessly to print. Cups found it and configured it right away! Brother makes a utility to get scanning going wirelessly. This took a bit more time but wasn't too involved. After a few weeks of printing and scanning with it, I couldn't be happier! This machine is high quality hardware and is exactly what was needed to fix the long line of heart breaks I've had with HP over the years. Thank you all for your recommendations!

oz
    forum.guy
    Nice looking printer, and yeah, Brother's HL line of printers have been working so well for me under Linux, I'm afraid to try anything else.

Glad you were able to find what you needed and it's working well.
    oz

oz, I feel confident enough to print a 110 page script with this machine! I would have never even considered such an undertaking with any of the HPs I've had. This machine is superior to every printer I've ever owned. It just does what I want without hesitation. No paper jams, just prints it and spits it out. Wonderful!

I'm a little late to the party but I have a Canon Pixma MP490 that just works. It's not a top shelf printer but it does the jobs. It only took me awhile to get it working under Gentoo but most other distros ran it like it was hot.
    Amazon.com: Canon PIXMA MP490 Inkjet Photo All-In-One Printer (3745B002): Electronics
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.