Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to pair a Wiimote to my PC, running Ubuntu 11.10 The problem is that blueman insists on entering a pin, while the correct pin is actually no pin ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do I pair a Wiimote?

I'm trying to pair a Wiimote to my PC, running Ubuntu 11.10

The problem is that blueman insists on entering a pin, while the correct pin is actually no pin at all. (or so, Google tells me...) However, in all their wisdom the developers of blueman thought is was a good idea not to allow an empty entry (the ok button is disabled, as long as you don't enter something), so I can't send an empty pin.

I've been looking for some workarounds but I haven't found one yet. Nor did I find any tutorial explaining how to pull this off. I'm actually having doubs if it can be done at all.

Did someone manage to pair a Wiimote with ubuntu? If so, I would really like to know how.

The point of all this is to use the Wiimote with Dolphin-3. I have no interrest in using it as an input device (wiican, wminput, wmgui, etc). I just want to pair it, so it's a trusted bluetooth device and can be used by Dolphin. Right now I can only tell blueman to add a wiimote and set it as trusted, but not pair it (because of the no-pin deal). When I want to use it in Dolphin, it does detect the wiimote, but looses the connection (connection interrupt error) as soon as I start the game. I'm guessing this is because the Wiimote isn't properly paired.

If someone can help me out here, I would be really greatfull.

Thanks!

Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

That whole tutorial is about how to use the Wiimote as an input device, which is not what I want. I simply want to pair the wiimote with Gnome, so it is recognised and trusted when I turn it on. Just like any other bluetooth device. When I have that working, I expect it will work just fine with Dolphin-3.

If anyone else has another way of getting a wiimote to work with Dolphin-3, running on a Linux box, I'll be glad to hear how it's done.

This may seem like a silly question...
    But doesn't using the Wiimote with Dolphin imply using it as an input device?
    After all, a mouse is an input device, and I'm assuming that you are wanting similar functionality from the Wiimote.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

How about this one: wiimote on Ubuntu - Ubuntu recognize it but Dolphin doesn't

Jay, I thought something similar haha
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    This may seem like a silly question...
    But doesn't using the Wiimote with Dolphin imply using it as an input device?
    After all, a mouse is an input device, and I'm assuming that you are wanting similar functionality from the Wiimote.
    True.that But the given tutorial explains how to use the wiimote as an input device for Ubuntu itself, which requires the installation, configuration and running extra software that handles it.

I do not want to controll Ubuntu with an wiimote, nor do I want to install, configure and run software that makes it possible.