Find the answer to your Linux question:
I powered up my old pc today and got a " CMOS battery failure and was unable to use it. ( It's been 6 or 7 years since I turned ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

CMOS battery failure

I powered up my old pc today and got a " CMOS battery failure and was unable to use it. ( It's been 6 or 7 years since I turned it on! ) Is a CMOS battery costly to replace in a HP Legend 117 computer?
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

oz
    forum.guy
    Desktops usually use the quarter sized flat batteries and you can usually just remove the old one, insert the new one of same type, reconfigure your BIOS settings and you are good to go for about a dollar or two.
    oz

There is a chance, that it is a replaceable button cell.

But you need to know exactly which size, volts and (less important) mAh it has.
    So I would open the case and look at the original one.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

Thanks!! Where would the battery be generally located and what would it look like?
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

The exact location differs from motherboard to motherboard.
    But if you first read the wikipedia article I linked earlier, then you know what to look for.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by cousinlucky View Post
    Where would the battery be generally located and what would it look like?
    In addition to Irithori's link, the computer manual or motherboard manual that came with your computer should reveal the exact location and the battery type. These batteries are usually about the size of a quarter and almost as flat as one. They are usually pretty easy to spot if you are looking directly at the motherboard.
    oz

Whenever I try to describe them, I tell folks that they look like a watch battery. Or a calculator battery.
    But like oz said, they are fairly easy to locate if you look around on the board.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Well I opened up the old computer and with a flashlight I moved wires until I found the battery. Removing it was like trying to get an oil filter out of a Nissan. I could not read the numbers on the battery so I took it to the " geek squad " at Best Buy where some young eyes could figure it out. I put in the new battery but two things now escape my old feeble mind; I can not remember how to properly turn windows 95 off and I do not recall why I turned the old computer on in the first place!!
    ( smile)
    Linux user # 414321