Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello there! This is my first time posting here so I hope this is the correct category. I did a search first for this but I ended up empty handed, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Dual booting on a HP EliteBook 8760w

Hello there!

This is my first time posting here so I hope this is the correct category. I did a search first for this but I ended up empty handed, so here goes

I got an EliteBook 8760w from my company a few weeks ago, and my company demands that I have Windows 7 on it. But they don't have a problem with me dual booting Windows and Linux (as long as I can work in Windows when needed).

So I tried with installing Windows 7 first on one partition, and then Debian on another one.

But the problem now is, that when I reboot after the installation it tells me that there is no operating system installed.

I called the company that delivered the computer and they have no idea how to solve it, and when I try to get in contact with HP they simply tell me that they don't have any support for that computer at the moment (what the hell, right?).

I tried to install only Windows on it, which works, and then I tried with installing only Debian on it, which also works. It's only when I try to dual boot that it wont work.

FYI it's Debian Squeeze that I am trying to install.
    I have not tried to install testing on it.

Another issue right now that concerns "testing different solutions" is that I have a lot of work on the Windows installation now, and I can't risk screwing the machine up again by trying to install Debian.

So if I am to try it again, it will have to be a solution that has been tested before and works on the same machine, or if I create a backup of the whole partition some free weekend, and restore it if the same problem occurs.

Is there anyone who has a clue about this?

If me. I would burn a Parted Magic Live cd which won't affect Windows or Debian install since Parted Magic will run off the cd or pendrive (depending on what medium you use to make it) as a live session.

Then I would connect my laptop via hardwire ethernet cable and open a terminal and post output of fdisk -l command in next post to see what is partitioned and file systems installed.

You did not mention if you used a Debian net install cd or a live Debian install cd either by the way.

Lastly. First thing I did when I inherited my wifes Acer Aspire One 5534. I made a bootable recovery DVD with the tools in Acers Windows 7 install. It also has a recovery partition to restore Windows 7 to a virgin install if one screws the pooch so to speak. One of the "F" keys (can't recall at the moment) would give me the recovery screen on boot. I am Surprised your HP does not have either feature that I just mentioned as I am sure my Acer is older than your HP.

Hope you get this sorted out ok.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    If me. I would burn a Parted Magic Live cd which won't affect Windows or Debian install since Parted Magic will run off the cd or pendrive (depending on what medium you use to make it) as a live session.

Then I would connect my laptop via hardwire ethernet cable and open a terminal and post output of fdisk -l command in next post to see what is partitioned and file systems installed.
    Yeah that sounds like a good idea.
    I will try that, but first I have to make a backup of this partition, and then try to install Debian again (since if I install it, it will break everything).

You did not mention if you used a Debian net install cd or a live Debian install cd either by the way.
    It was a Debian net install cd

Lastly. First thing I did when I inherited my wifes Acer Aspire One 5534. I made a bootable recovery DVD with the tools in Acers Windows 7 install. It also has a recovery partition to restore Windows 7 to a virgin install if one screws the pooch so to speak. One of the "F" keys (can't recall at the moment) would give me the recovery screen on boot. I am Surprised your HP does not have either feature that I just mentioned as I am sure my Acer is older than your HP.
    Yeah there used to be a recovery partition on this machine as well, but I think it was removed before I got it (the whole SSD was cleaned, and Windows had been reinstalled).

Hope you get this sorted out ok.

Happy Trails, Rok
    Yeah thanks.
    But seeing as I have tried a lot of different ways now to solve the issue (I forgot to mention that I fiddled with the BIOS as well to solve the issue, I did however, set it back to default when I found out it didn't help at all) I'm not getting my hopes up at the moment ^^

Yeah there used to be a recovery partition on this machine as well, but I think it was removed before I got it (the whole SSD was cleaned, and Windows had been reinstalled).
    I will try that, but first I have to make a backup of this partition, and then try to install Debian again (since if I install it, it will break everything).

Debian Live

I ran into the same situation on my refurbished EEEPC 701SD from mwave.com with Windows XP I used a external 8 gig SD flash card to store XP onto the flash card using dd to copy Windows byte by byte including master boot record to the external flash drive. That way I had a backup, so, if needed, I could dd the XP on the flash drive back to the internal SSD drive. Back when I got my eeepc. I just did this as a precaution. I could also boot XP off of flash drive using the esc key on the eeepc. I have since wiped XP off that SD card as I am happy running AntiX on that unit full time and that Acer Aspire One I have fulfils my need for a Windows OS for tuning motorcycles when I need to.

Clonzilla live cd is good for dd, (has a gui for that), to do what I did for that.

Just posting this info in case service tech, or what ever, gets your HP back to pristine virgin condition.

It was a Debian net install cd
    If new to computing or Linux in general, (I am just going by low post count, so don't sue me ).

To me, Tough road for a Debian install for a new computer/linux user. Hopefully all you left out of Debian net install was to install grub 2 bootloader to MBR(I am assuming Debian Squeeze).

Hopefully your fdisk -l readout will show where the boot flag is at on your partitions. I left you the Debian Live link in case you feel more comfortable using gui tools to install a Linux Distro also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home