Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I upgraded to squeeze last week, and finally rebooted yesterday. My sound is no longer working since the reboot: things like audacious2, aplay, speaker-test run without any errors, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No sound with Intel HDA (ATI SBx00 Azalia, Realtek 887)

Hi,

I upgraded to squeeze last week, and finally rebooted yesterday. My sound is no longer working since the reboot: things like audacious2, aplay, speaker-test run without any errors, but I can't hear anything. I've checked that my speakers are ok, and that none of the channels are muted (alsamixer).

Code:
        lspci|grep Audio
        00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

(the card is sometimes also referred to as Realtek 887)

alsaconf seems to run successfully, and finds my sound card, then adds entries to /etc/modprobe.d/sound:

Code:
        alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-hda-intel

, and to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
    Code:
        options snd-hda-intel model=generic

I've tried lots of things to get sound working. Someone suggested compiling alsa from source (to get the latest version), but that didn't help. I've tried various different model= parameters for the snd-hda-intel module, but generic seems to be the most suitable. Just now I've upgraded from squeeze to wheezy/testing, but that hasn't solved it either. Very frustrating, since it was working nicely in lenny.

Any ideas please?

Your in the wrong forum section for this...! This is games and entertainment. This sounds like hardware/ software issue, You might get a better help if you re-post or ask this to be moved to the "Hardware / Peripherals" section of the forum.

Have you tried re-installing the alsa sound card driver from the package manager not source?

To me it looks like a configuration problem more than a hardware problem.

Also have you checked that your not trying to run the sound through another device that is listed under the sound properties. For example most graphics cards also do sound.

In short this means if you set your input/output to say 5.1 analog and you have a digital sound device, you will not get any sound unless you have the right configuration. Make sure your sound device and your input/output are compatible. This may require testing each input/output configuration, there are multiple configurations both surround and stereo (i.e. analog/ digital, digital/analog, analog/analog, digital/digital (input/output)).

Furthermore if your running it through an amp it become more complex again. But i do not think this is relevant to you

Moved to Hardware/Peripherals section.

Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    Also have you checked that your not trying to run the sound through another device that is listed under the sound properties. For example most graphics cards also do sound.
    Good point. I haven't found the right solution yet for this, but there are a few work arounds that might fit.
    What is you complete output of:
    Code:
    lspci -knn
    This might help get to a solution.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Whoops sorry, I saw that the gaming/multimedia forum covered audio, and thought that was the best place - but you're right, hardware peripherals is a more suitable location.

Yes, I removed the alsa compiled from source, and installed the version in the apt repository. I should also mention that I've tried OSS, but still no luck. I've tried all the different audio devices, but no sound from any of them (in fact, the HDA is the only physical device, although qmmp is offering various options such as default:CARD=SB and front:CARD=SB,DEV=0).

Do you want the *full* output of lspci -knn ?

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780 Host Bridge [1022:9600]
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8388]
    00:01.0 PCI bridge [0604]: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (int gfx) [1043:9602]
            Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:04.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] RS780/RS880 PCI to PCI bridge (PCIE port 0) [1022:9604]
            Kernel driver in use: pcieport
            Kernel modules: shpchp
    00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [IDE mode] [1002:4390]
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M4A785TD Motherboard [1043:8389]
            Kernel driver in use: ahci
            Kernel modules: ahci
    00:12.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8389]
            Kernel driver in use: ohci_hcd
            Kernel modules: ohci-hcd
    00:12.1 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398]
    00:12.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
            Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
            Kernel modules: ehci-hcd
    00:13.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller [1002:4397]
    00:13.1 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller [1002:4398]
    00:13.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller [1002:4396]
            Kernel driver in use: ehci_hcd
            Kernel modules: ehci-hcd
    00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller [1002:4385] (rev 3c)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. M4A785TD Motherboard [1043:8389]                                                                                                                                                                    
            Kernel modules: i2c-piix4                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    00:14.1 IDE interface [0101]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller [1002:439c]                                                                                                                              
            Kernel driver in use: pata_atiixp                                                                                                                                                                                                    
            Kernel modules: pata_atiixp, ata_generic                                                                                                                                                                                             
    00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) [1002:4383]                                                                                                                                       
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8445]                                                                                                                                                                                  
            Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel                                                                                                                                                                                                  
            Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel                                                                                                                                                                                                        
    00:14.3 ISA bridge [0601]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller [1002:439d]                                                                                                                            
    00:14.4 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge [1002:4384]                                                                                                                                          
    00:14.5 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller [1002:4399]                                                                                                                       
    00:18.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 0 [1022:1600]                                                                                                                                         
    00:18.1 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 1 [1022:1601]                                                                                                                                         
    00:18.2 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 2 [1022:1602]                                                                                                                                         
    00:18.3 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 3 [1022:1603]                                                                                                                                         
    00:18.4 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 4 [1022:1604]                                                                                                                                         
    00:18.5 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Processor Function 5 [1022:1605]                                                                                                                                         
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RS780L [Radeon HD 3000] [1002:9616]                                                                                                                           
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8388]
            Kernel driver in use: radeon
            Kernel modules: radeon
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
            Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P8P67 and other motherboards [1043:8432]
            Kernel driver in use: r8169
            Kernel modules: r8169
    03:05.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR922X Wireless Network Adapter [168c:0029] (rev 01)
            Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Device [1186:3a7c]
            Kernel driver in use: ath9k
            Kernel modules: ath9k

I know this is an old post but I think I got the solution for you. I had the same problem on my squeeze and same problem on wheezy. I got this soundcard:

00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)

I found the solution to this problem a long time ago via some website. Here's what worked for me

# touch /etc/asound.conf
    # nano /etc/asound.conf

past the following into the file:
    defaults.ctl.card 1
    defaults.pcm.card 1
    defaults.timer.card 1

reboot system and your sound should work. Make sure your master volume and your speaker volume are turned up. Hope it helps you out!