Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've got a question about power management event on different manufacturers of processors. I write a c++ program where I use TSC timer, but every time when tested processor ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

TSC and power management events

Hi, I've got a question about power management event on different manufacturers of processors.

I write a c++ program where I use TSC timer, but every time when tested processor have embedded power management technology and CPU Frequency scaling, I have troubles. Does anybody know how can I detect this feature of CPU? Is this information available from CPUID instruction? I will really appreciate any help on this point. Thanks

Irina

Just Joined!
    It is kernel dependant, but if you try:
    Code:
     cat /proc/cpuinfo
    you will get all avalable info on the cpu, pay attention to the flags, and stepping values.

Just Joined!
    In that case, what is the conclusion if I have blank space in front of "power management" line?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm not an expert in this field, but I would ignore the "power managment" line, and rely solely on the flags and stepping. There are many different forms of power managment, find out which ones affect your application and use good old google to check what the flag is for that feature.