Find the answer to your Linux question:
Many years ago, Creative released an official GPL Linux driver for their X-Fi sound card lineup, which eventually made its way into the kernel. This driver however is very basic. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

X-Fi: Will there ever be proper drivers?

Many years ago, Creative released an official GPL Linux driver for their X-Fi sound card lineup, which eventually made its way into the kernel. This driver however is very basic. All the special features that made these cards desirable are not accessible. It's unlikely that Creative is going to give a damn anymore.
    Would it be feasible for the community to write drivers that are up to par with the Windows drivers? I'd contribute, but I am not an experienced programmer.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by silikone View Post
    Many years ago, Creative released an official GPL Linux driver for their X-Fi sound card lineup, which eventually made its way into the kernel. This driver however is very basic. All the special features that made these cards desirable are not accessible. It's unlikely that Creative is going to give a damn anymore.
    Would it be feasible for the community to write drivers that are up to par with the Windows drivers? I'd contribute, but I am not an experienced programmer.
    Well, that is the rub. Someone who has one of these devices, and who wants Linux support, will have to lead such an effort, even if only to update/upgrade the original Creative Linux drivers for current kernels. Time to teach yourself how to write kernel code, I think...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Newbie
    If enough people show that they desire this then creative might respect it's customers wishes.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close