Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
It's either a 750GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive, or a 256GB SSD. Which one should I use? Would the smaller SSD be worse than a larger regular hard drive? Or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Should I get a regular hard drive or an SSD?

It's either a 750GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive, or a 256GB SSD.

Which one should I use? Would the smaller SSD be worse than a larger regular hard drive? Or does the performance boost make up for this?

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Chezziwick View Post
    Which one should I use? Would the smaller SSD be worse than a larger regular hard drive? Or does the performance boost make up for this?
    I've been using fast SSDs in a couple of my machines for the last two years now, and still run mechanical hard drives in four other machines. While I've had no issues with the SSDs, I still slightly prefer the regular hard drives. The main advantage to SSDs is the speed boost, silent operation, and the cooler running temps. They have a few disadvantages, too, but price still being the biggest. There's little doubt that mechanical hard disks will eventually be replaced with SSDs, but that all said, I ordered two more 7200 rpm regular hard disks just yesterday.
    oz

Just Joined!
    The specs on SSD's vary all over the place, I initially got a couple that were probably quite a bit slower than the HD's I was replacing. Caveat Emptor. My current desktop has a RAID 0 pair of OCZ Vertex-3 120GB drives. They do actually move things along. Check storargereview.com for their current recommendations. If you are on a budget the WD Caviar Black drives are a nice compromise.

Note that a fast SATA-3 SSD can saturate a SATA-2 connection. The only way around this is to upgrade to SATA-3 motherboard or adapter.

I still use one of the original slow Patriot 32GB drives in a car computer where speed really does not matter.

Just Joined!
    It's either a 750GB 7200RPM SATA hard drive, or a 256GB SSD.

If a laptop, I was lean towards an SSD. Also, look at a hybrid drive. I have one one a laptop, much faster than a standard HD but not as fast SSD. The only thing I would like better would be an SSD.

I'm sorry, I wasn't specific. It was a laptop, and price is an issue now that I think about it. Because of this, I am probably going to get a hard drive. However, would laptop/desktop really make a difference?

Just Joined!
    However, would laptop/desktop really make a difference?
    SSDs are going to be much more shockproof than a traditional mechanical HDD. In a laptop thats a HUGE advantage IMO. I've killed a couple mechanical drives in laptops due to shock.

Quote Originally Posted by oz View Post
    There's little doubt that mechanical hard disks will eventually be replaced with SSDs
    I disagree. There are quite a few situations where using SSDs would be impractical, and I think that the technology has a long way to go before it can really be adopted for those uses. At my job, we have media players that are constantly accessing content from a separate content drive 24/7; we've gone through several different makes of hard drive and we've managed to kill them all, until we settled on Seagate SV drives which are designed for 24/7 surveillance systems. These have served us well for the past few years. SSD drives would be dead in no time from that kind of workload.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    I disagree. There are quite a few situations where using SSDs would be impractical, and I think that the technology has a long way to go before it can really be adopted for those uses.
    Right... that's why I said "eventually", because I do believe that SSD technology will someday improve to that point. In fact, I'd be extremely surprised if it never happens.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ... would laptop/desktop really make a difference?
    In a laptop, the drive is usually the total storage space, while a desktop usually has space for a second drive. In desktops, I use a small SSD boot drive and larger storage drive. In my laptop, I use a large singular SSD drive.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendoshazin View Post
    At my job, we have media players that are constantly accessing content from a separate content drive 24/7 ---- SSD drives would be dead in no time from that kind of workload.
    Interesting; have you actually tried an SSD in this application? SSD's wear out due to write cycles and my impression is you have an ideal read-mostly condition where it would last nearly forever and for server usage it would not suffer as much from latency and seek time delays.

For a server you can get an "enterprise class" drives which have better specs including longevity and speed at a higher price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast