Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just upgraded to fedora 17 and decided to give myself a home directory on a separate raid 1 hard drive. I copy everything over using Code: cp -r /home ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

I added a hard drive and mounted it as home and now i have problems

I just upgraded to fedora 17 and decided to give myself a home directory on a separate raid 1 hard drive. I copy everything over using
    Code:

cp -r /home /tmp/home
    // Mount raid hard drive
    cp -r /tmp/home /home
    Everything copied correctly and completely however my applications and systems menu (i use lxde) is completely empty now, and most terminal commands do not seem to work
    Code:
    such as su
    they all just hang mid execution and further more /usr/[s/]bin
    and /usr/local/[s/]bin applications are not recognized by the system i am guessing because i corrupted my environmental variables.

What should i do to recover my system. What could i possibly have forgotten

Linux User
    Hi,

My guess is that the ownership changed while copying the files.

What you may do:
    Open a command line.
    Ctrl-Alt-F1 for example
    login.
    Unmount the new home directory.
    mount it on a different location.

Sync the folders including the owership.
    Example:
    rsync -a /home/ /mnd/md0

Hope that helps.

Between:
    Code:
    cp -r /home /tmp/home
    // Mount raid hard drive
    cp -r /tmp/home /home
    You realize that you don't mount the raid hard drive with:
    Code:
    cp -r /tmp/home /home

Linux Engineer
    You should likely use the -p switch for cp, which preserves ownership and permissions.
    Next, edit /etc/fstab to update the new mount point for home. Then:
    remount /home

A reboot probably wouldn't hurt either.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie

I tried what you suggested mizzle

Quote Originally Posted by mizzle View Post
    You should likely use the -p switch for cp, which preserves ownership and permissions.
    Next, edit /etc/fstab to update the new mount point for home. Then:
    remount /home

A reboot probably wouldn't hurt either.
    I tried what you suggested however it kicked me into emergency mode

cp already has an option that amalgamates all the other options to allow copying of entire file trees and preserver their permission, it's:

Code:
    cp -a [source] [dest]
    although that's probably a little late for you now, Alpha90.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Well I reinstalled my system and tried what you suggested roxoff and it worked. However now i seem to have another problem my system runs slowly. it seems that when ever i need to assume administrator power ( and mostlikely other functions however i have only been setting up my system and have not had a chance to use other functions) . Nevertheless when i use sudo or su or try to install anything with yum i recieve the password prompt and i enter a correct password but i am treated to a minute or two of delay before the system excepts my command. Just from my lay perspective as a newbie linux administrator / linux user i get the impression that my system can not find what it is looking for to authenticate instantly so it searches my drives (however i do not know if that is correct).. I do know the fstab fhas to do with how my harddrives are mounted however i do not know all the commands for it

my root directory is defined as

Code:
    UUID=fb715d62-c857-4fbd-a04e-a5c90fa0c032 /                       ext4    defaults        1 1
    however my new home directory is
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-uuid/48935b17-011f-4b62-9a3e-4be1eb8aa788 /home auto nosuid,nodev,nofail,x-gvfs-show 0 0
    I do not know if i improperly configured it as i used a partition manager for my second attempt at this instead of manually editing everything

Anyone's input would be appreciated and thanked. Thank you for everyone's comments so far.

I think your authentication system is going off to the network or trying to authenticate using some other mechanism that is slowing it down. If you run the tool 'system-config-authentication' (you may need to install it with yum, I think the package is the same name as the tool) you can see how your system is set up. Unless your config uses remote authentication systems, you should select the 'Local accounts only' option, and on the 'Advanced Optons' tab turn off fingerprint readers and smart cards unless you have them.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Newbie
    Well I make sure my authentication was on local account only and fingerprint reader was set to enabled for some reason which i disabled, however i am still having this situation where my system has a delayed response to any required password. when i started up system-config-authentication for example it took between 30 second - 2 minutes ( i distort my perspective of small burst of time for some reason). Also i know for a fact that i am not having a hardware shortfall or anything of the sort because before i made my new home directory. The only difference between the new drive and the old is the new drive is on a seperate sata controller card that has a firmware raid bios however the raid is not in use and any application that ive used so far does not have a noticable delay in writing my home directory so i must conclude it is some software misconfiguration.