Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
OK, so I downloaded that snapshot. That appears to be vanilla Linux. I notice that there are several dozen other files on the page from which I downloaded this. Are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

OK, so I downloaded that snapshot. That appears to be vanilla Linux. I notice that there are several dozen other files on the page from which I downloaded this. Are those the patches? And if so, how do I go about choosing which I should select? (Sorry, I'm new to this.)

I'm running Ubuntu on my host; I seem to recall there are some tools that facilitate the downloading of multiple files from one site. If I'm supposed to take all the files on this page, I'll go look for that tool.

Thanks again...once I know I have the right source files, I'll return my attention to the tool chain.

Just Joined!
    If it's not too much trouble, could I get some more guidance on this, please? I've downloaded the basic Linux files, and I know that I need to patch them for the ARM, but...I don't know which of the patch files to take. (I assume that instructions for running the patch are included in the patch directory somewhere.) Can someone give me a little chapter and verse here, please?

Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    OK, so I downloaded that snapshot. That appears to be vanilla Linux.
    I don't think so:
    Code:
    [root@localhost ~]# diff linux-2.6.33/Makefile linux-2.6-stable-729b792/Makefile
    189,190c189,190
    < ARCH          ?= $(SUBARCH)
    < CROSS_COMPILE ?=
    ---
    > ARCH          ?= arm
    > CROSS_COMPILE ?= arm-none-linux-gnueabi-
    I notice that there are several dozen other files on the page from which I downloaded this. Are those the patches? And if so, how do I go about choosing which I should select? (Sorry, I'm new to this.)
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I'm just assuming that everything you need is in that snapshot listed at the top.

I'm running Ubuntu on my host; I seem to recall there are some tools that facilitate the downloading of multiple files from one site. If I'm supposed to take all the files on this page, I'll go look for that tool.
    You might be thinking of wget. If you are downloading a git repository, it is customary to use the git command, but as you are using a git snapshot, you don't need to do this (i think).

Just Joined!
    Well, it's possible that that first snapshot has everything I need (if so, the authors didn't update the readme file, though).

So, if this is true, what exactly do I need to patch? Shouldn't I be able to just build this using the toolchain that I also downloaded?

Trusted Penguin
    Well, it's possible that that first snapshot has everything I need (if so, the authors didn't update the readme file, though).

So, if this is true, what exactly do I need to patch? Shouldn't I be able to just build this using the toolchain that I also downloaded?
    I think so. Based off of the steps listed on that page, you can try something like:

Code:
    tar zxf linux-2.6-stable-729b792.tar.gz
    mkdir build-2.6-stable-729b792
    cd build-2.6-stable-729b792
    wget http://www.linux-arm.org/pub/LinuxKernel/LinuxM3/.config
    sed -i.bak 's|^\(CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE\)=.*$|\1=/tmp/initramfs-list-min|' .config

wget -O /tmp/busybox http://www.linux-arm.org/pub/LinuxKernel/LinuxM3/busybox
    wget -O /tmp/initramfs-list-min http://www.linux-arm.org/pub/LinuxKernel/LinuxM3/initramfs-list-min
    sed -i.bak 's|^file /bin/busybox .* \(.* .* .*\)$|file /bin/busybox /tmp/busybox \1|' /tmp/initramfs-list-min

cd ../linux-2.6-stable-729b792
    make O=../build-2.6-stable-729b792 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- Image
    That is assuming you are in the working directory where you downloaded that linux-2.6-stable tarball.

Just Joined!
    I'm running the make right now. It's asking a lot of questions (some of which I'm only guessing at).

It now wants me to specify the processor. My device is the ST Micro STM32F207IGH6. Here are the choices:

Code:
    ARM system type
      1. Agilent AAEC-2000 based (ARCH_AAEC2000)
      2. ARM Ltd. Integrator family (ARCH_INTEGRATOR)
    > 3. ARM Ltd. RealView family (ARCH_REALVIEW)
      4. ARM Ltd. Versatile Express family (ARCH_VEXPRESS) (NEW)
      5. ARM Ltd. Versatile family (ARCH_VERSATILE)
      6. Atmel AT91 (ARCH_AT91)
      7. Cirrus Logic CLPS711x/EP721x-based (ARCH_CLPS711X)
      8. Cortina Systems Gemini (ARCH_GEMINI) (NEW)
      9. EBSA-110 (ARCH_EBSA110)
      10. EP93xx-based (ARCH_EP93XX)
      11. FootBridge (ARCH_FOOTBRIDGE)
      12. Freescale MXC/iMX-based (ARCH_MXC)
      13. Freescale STMP3xxx (ARCH_STMP3XXX) (NEW)
      14. Hilscher NetX based (ARCH_NETX)
      15. Hynix HMS720x-based (ARCH_H720X)
      16. STMicroelectronics Nomadik (ARCH_NOMADIK) (NEW)
      17. LinkUp-L7200 (ARCH_L7200)
      18. Marvell Dove (ARCH_DOVE) (NEW)
      19. Marvell Kirkwood (ARCH_KIRKWOOD) (NEW)
      20. Marvell Loki (88RC8480) (ARCH_LOKI) (NEW)
      21. Marvell MV78xx0 (ARCH_MV78XX0) (NEW)
      22. Micrel/Kendin KS8695 (ARCH_KS8695)
      23. NetSilicon NS9xxx (ARCH_NS9XXX)
      24. Nuvoton W90X900 CPU (ARCH_W90X900) (NEW)
      25. Philips Nexperia PNX4008 Mobile (ARCH_PNX4008)
      26. Qualcomm MSM (ARCH_MSM) (NEW)
      27. RiscPC (ARCH_RPC)
      28. SA1100-based (ARCH_SA1100)
      29. Samsung S3C2410, S3C2412, S3C2413, S3C2440, S3C2442, S3C2443 (ARCH_S3C2410)
      30. Samsung S3C64XX (ARCH_S3C64XX) (NEW)
      31. Samsung S5PC1XX (ARCH_S5PC1XX) (NEW)
      32. Shark (ARCH_SHARK)
      33. Sharp LH7A40X (ARCH_LH7A40X)
      34. TI DaVinci (ARCH_DAVINCI)
      35. TI OMAP (ARCH_OMAP)
      36. ST-Ericsson U8500 Series (ARCH_U8500) (NEW)
      37. ARM Ltd. Microcontroller Prototyping System (ARCH_MPS) (NEW)
    choice[1-37]:
    I notice it seems to be choosing #3 by default. Any ideas on which choice from this menu might be the best?

Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    I notice it seems to be choosing #3 by default. Any ideas on which choice from this menu might be the best?
    It is getting that value from the .config file that they provide, so I'd have to think that is the one to choose.

Just Joined!
    After I answered all the questions, the make bombed because I hadn't added the CodeSourcery toolchain to my PATH variable.

I tried running the make again, but got an error:
    Code:
    /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/nwfpe/entry.S:96: Error: cannot use post-indexing with this instruction -- `ldrt r6,[r5],#4'
    make[2]: *** [arch/arm/nwfpe/entry.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [arch/arm/nwfpe] Error 2
    ma
    I don't know exactly what that means, but I suspect I should start over. What file should I delete that evidently contains all the answers I provided the first time I ran make? (It didn't prompt me for anything the second time, so I assume it kept my answers somewhere.)

Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    I don't know exactly what that means, but I suspect I should start over. What file should I delete that evidently contains all the answers I provided the first time I ran make? (It didn't prompt me for anything the second time, so I assume it kept my answers somewhere.)
    I don't know what that means either.

To start cleanly again, you can do:
    Code:
    make O=../build-2.6-stable-729b792 ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- clean
    You can look in the README in the root of the kernel source for more info on the clean argument. There is also the mrproper argument, which may be necessary.

Just Joined!
    OK, I ran mrproper (the README sort of suggested I should). Got a new copy of .config.

Now, on the subject of busybox: I looked at some information on it, but I'm not sure I fully understand. If my system isn't going to have any "users" per se, do I still need busybox? From your description, it looks like a lot of command-line utilities, but no one's going to access this system via a terminal (except through a dedicated telnet session).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast