Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Originally Posted by mzimmers Now, on the subject of busybox: I looked at some information on it, but I'm not sure I fully understand. If my system isn't going to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Trusted Penguin

Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    Now, on the subject of busybox: I looked at some information on it, but I'm not sure I fully understand. If my system isn't going to have any "users" per se, do I still need busybox? From your description, it looks like a lot of command-line utilities, but no one's going to access this system via a terminal (except through a dedicated telnet session).
    Yep, you'll sure need busybox. It will provide even the minimalistic environment required by someone using telnet to log in. However, busybox is just the binary and a bunch of properly named symlinks pointing to it. You can simply remove the symlinks that you don't want/need. That won't remove the actual applets themselves from the busybox binary, though.

In other words, you could remove the "ls" symlink. but if someone logged in and knew what they were doing, they could still call "ls" functionality by issuing:

Code:
    busybox ls
    so what i would do is allow all the symlinks to be created at first, then remove them from the image as you go through and decide what you don't need.

Just Joined!
    OK, I'll install the busybox stuff. Just to make myself clear, the telnet connection I mentioned will *not* be for a login, or a general Linux user session. It will be to interface with a dedicated app with a very limited vocabulary.

But, if you think it's right, I'll go ahead and install.

Just Joined!
    OK...got an error message during make:

Code:
    #
    # configuration written to .config
    #
      Using /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792 as source for kernel
      GEN     /home/mzimmers/Downloads/build-2.6-stable-729b792/Makefile
      CHK     include/linux/version.h
      UPD     include/linux/version.h
      CHK     include/generated/utsrelease.h
      UPD     include/generated/utsrelease.h
      Generating include/generated/mach-types.h
      CC      kernel/bounds.s
      GEN     include/generated/bounds.h
      CC      arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s
    In file included from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/irqflags.h:57:0,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/include/asm/system.h:62,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/include/asm/bitops.h:27,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/bitops.h:17,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/kernel.h:15,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/sched.h:54,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:13:
    /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/include/asm/irqflags.h:11:5: warning: "__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__" is not defined [-Wundef]
    In file included from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/include/asm/bitops.h:27:0,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/bitops.h:17,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/kernel.h:15,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/include/linux/sched.h:54,
                     from /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.c:13:
    /home/mzimmers/Downloads/linux-2.6-stable-729b792/arch/arm/include/asm/system.h:114:5: warning: "__LINUX_ARM_ARCH__" is not defined [-Wundef]
    This was repeated many times. At the end, I got this:

Code:
    make[2]: *** [arch/arm/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
    make: *** [sub-make] Error 2
    Any idea what this all means, or is it time to contact the author of the makefile?

Thanks.

Trusted Penguin
    Maybe try using a defconfig file, like is suggested here.

Beyond that, I don't really know what to tell you. Yeah, contacting that guy might be your next step - if you find him responsive, that may save you some time/headache.

Just Joined!
    I got a reply back from the person whose email address is listed on the download page. He said he didn't know what was in that tarball.

At this point, I think I may be in a bit over my head, so I think I'm going to abandon the effort for the time being. I'll come back to it in a couple months or so. But I do appreciate all your assistance, atreyu...thanks for everything.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post
    I got a reply back from the person whose email address is listed on the download page. He said he didn't know what was in that tarball.
    the tarball that has his name next to it? interesting...

At this point, I think I may be in a bit over my head, so I think I'm going to abandon the effort for the time being. I'll come back to it in a couple months or so. But I do appreciate all your assistance, atreyu...thanks for everything.
    i know how you feel. i've fought w/ARM and lost before, too. hopefully a fresh look later on will provide you a new angle. and maybe the net time, there will be a more automated process in place for you, either from the board vendor or in the main line kernel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3