Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have arch linux installed on my laptop and it works fine for all tasks. Except when I play some sound. If I'm listening to music and I increase the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Post System becomes unstable and freezes when playing high sound

I have arch linux installed on my laptop and it works fine for all tasks. Except when I play some sound. If I'm listening to music and I increase the volume higher than 60% the applications starts to freeze, the load average rises and everything gets slow. It gets back to 'normal' if I pause the music or decrease the volume. If I use an external speaker that doesn't happen.
    My computer is a dell inspiron 14 intel i5 2nd generation 4gb ram. It is a decent computer so I think we can say it is not a horsepower issue. (I'm not sure if I should be posting it under the hardware session but since it works fine with an external speaker I think we can exclude a software problem)

Any clues?

Trusted Penguin
    do you get any helpful output from from the dmesg command, while pumping up the volume?

have you tried updating the kernel/alsa drivers (assuming you are using alsa drivers)?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    do you get any helpful output from from the dmesg command, while pumping up the volume?

have you tried updating the kernel/alsa drivers (assuming you are using alsa drivers)?
    Yes I searched for any changes with the dmesg output but I got nothing different changing the volume. Here are the xorg and dmesg logs if you want to check at.
    [http] gist.github.com/2885150

I'm using the kernel 3.3.4-1. Higher versions for some reason don't work well on my laptop. It becomes really and I had to downgrade. But everything else is on the bleeding edge.