Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I found a place where i can purchase relatively unused SPARC T3 processors for a cheapish price. However, i cannot find information about component compatibility for the CPU and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

SPARC T3 CPU Components Help!

Hi,
    I found a place where i can purchase relatively unused SPARC T3 processors for a cheapish price. However, i cannot find information about component compatibility for the CPU and was wondering if anyone knows or could provide me with some of the component information for the SPARC T3 CPU.
    The information i am after is:
    - Motherboard Manufacturer and model number/ name
    - System processor board manufacturer and model number/ name

I know that these boards have a relatively unusual design and that they can consist of a system processor board and the actual motherboard. But as mentioned above information on these parts is hard if next to impossible to come by, unless you own them or refurbish them, probably due to largely still being in use.
    So any information would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    SL6-A1000

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you are talking about raw processors (cpu's), then you need to find compatible components for them. Try looking on the Oracle web site. Also, there is a lot of Sun / Sparc gear on eBay that might be available once you determine which components will work. However, asking us for that information is not a good use of forum members time, unless there is some Sun / Sparc expert lurking here who does know that stuff in detail. FWIW, I did a LOT of development for and on Sun Sparc gear for over 10 years (including creating kernel drivers), and I cannot answer your questions.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    If you are talking about raw processors (cpu's), then you need to find compatible components for them. Try looking on the Oracle web site. Also, there is a lot of Sun / Sparc gear on eBay that might be available once you determine which components will work. However, asking us for that information is not a good use of forum members time, unless there is some Sun / Sparc expert lurking here who does know that stuff in detail. FWIW, I did a LOT of development for and on Sun Sparc gear for over 10 years (including creating kernel drivers), and I cannot answer your questions.
    No i know, i was asking more for the later reason, than just being lazy. Hoping there would be some Linux user who is running these processors, and could easily provide me the information (my guess is most linux users running sparc processors are with oracle for support reasons).
    I have looked rather thoroughly, the problem arises not in finding motherboards for SPARC CPUs, its finding the information of whether the motherboard is compatible with the T3 cpu i am looking at. People tend to not provide the socket information, which as i said is presumably because the people that own them know what components they need to replace or purchase. Making it harder for a general consumer to buy refurbished ones.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by SL6-A1000 View Post
    No i know, i was asking more for the later reason, than just being lazy. Hoping there would be some Linux user who is running these processors, and could easily provide me the information (my guess is most linux users running sparc processors are with oracle for support reasons).
    I have looked rather thoroughly, the problem arises not in finding motherboards for SPARC CPUs, its finding the information of whether the motherboard is compatible with the T3 cpu i am looking at. People tend to not provide the socket information, which as i said is presumably because the people that own them know what components they need to replace or purchase. Making it harder for a general consumer to buy refurbished ones.
    There are authorized Sparc system integrators and resellers out there who may be able to answer your questions. Most of them have a presence on eBay.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!